Chapter 2

Rin sat on the grass, feeling the stems with her fingers. Eren and Mikasa walked out.

"What did you tell Kalura for, Mikasa?" Rin asked Mikasa. Mikasa opened her mouth, then closed it.

"I thought so, Mikasa. I can't believe you told Mom about my wanting to join the Survey Corps!" Eren glared at Mikasa. Rin raised an eyebrow.

Her eyes followed a spider, which was crawling towards Eren. Eren noticed only when the spider was inches from his finger. Eren leaped up, scratching at his clothes, and batting at the spider.

"Creepy. Rin, why didn't you tell me?" Eren protested. Rin stared at him blankly, before turning away. Mikasa frowned, then leaned towards Eren. "Don't worry, Eren. She's just a snow-haired jerk." she said. That stinging comment did not go lost on Rin's extremely acute ears.

"I believe calling me the jerk isn't an option, Mikasa. Calling me one also makes you one. We are all jerks in some way, or another. I also take it that you've disliked me ever since we met." Rin calmly said. Mikasa stiffened, her cheeks turning a slight red.

"W-well, I just don't like the way you talk!" Mikasa blurted. Rin raised an eyebrow. "This is very unlike you Mikasa. Your eyes tell me everything. So I'll just clear it for you. I hold no feelings for Eren, I see him as a brother. Nothing more. So you can relax."

Eren reddened at this. He glanced at Mikasa, who's cheeks turned a light pink. "Um...." she stuttered.

"I'm meeting up with Armin. He says he had something new to show me. So I'll leave you two to clear things up." Rin got up, and walked away. Mikasa scratched her head, flustered, while Eren gave her a piercing look.

Rin walked through the usual routes to reach the place where she and Armin were supposed to meet. She saw him leaning against a tree, eyes buried in his book.

"Armin, what are you reading this time?" Rin walked over, and stood next to him, bending over to get a good look at the cover.

"Ah. Nothing special. I got bored." Armin replied. Rin pursed her lips and straightened. "Alright then. So. How are you finding notebook I gave you?" Rin asked.

Armin suddenly scrunched his eyebrows together. "Hey, Rin." he said.

Rin tilted her head. "What." she answered. Armin was thinking hard.

"Are you...Swedish?" he asked. Rin looked surprised and confused by the question. "Armin, please explain that question to me. I do not understand." Armin pursed his lips together.

"You have an accent. You pronounce words differently. Your 'r's are more...accented. And when you say the word 'you', it kind of makes it sound like you're saying 'shu'. " Armin explained.

Rin looked blankly at him. "And this makes a difference, how?" she asked. Armin shook his head. "It doesn't. I'm just saying I've never notcied your accent before."

Rin looked miffed, but let the conversation slide. She was about to ask Armin again about the book he was reading, but was interrupted by Eren.

"Hey, guys! The Survey Corps is back! Let's go welcome the heroes!" he exclaimed excitedly. Rin stood up, and jogged along with Eren, Armin and Mikasa following close behind. Soon enough, they reached their destined place.

Eren helped them all stand on a few boxes, so they were able to see. Rin peeked over the top of the heads, only to see the few people that were riding back.

"So little. How many went out today? 100?" Rin asked Eren. Eren ignored her, still staring. As an old woman bustled up to ask about her son, they, instead, handed her something wrapped in white cloth. The woman unwrapped it, and found a severed arm.