Chapter Three

I awoke bright and early the next morning. So early that the sun had yet to rise. I sighed quietly to myself and went downstairs to sit by the fire in the Common Room. It was always like this. I'd fall asleep and wake a couple of hours later. When the kids were babies, it was useful, because I would always awake just before they did, so I could always deal with them, meaning Luna got a lot more sleep than most mothers did with their children. Now, though, it was simply annoying.

I sat before the fire, grateful for its warmth, once again marveling at my human form, the blood in my veins and the beating of my heart. Humans were fascinating creatures, yet they seemed to never be able to understand this.

After a while, I was aware I was not alone in the room.

"I wondered whether you'd show up."

 Death took a seat next to me.

"You realise you do not dream." As always with Death, it was a statement, not a question.

"That my dreams are actually visions of the future? Yes."

Death was silent for some time, then he spoke. "The egg must never be hatched."

"What's in the egg anyway? We were both busy last time, so I didn't really get much of an answer."

"You already know."

"But that's impossible. The only one capable of creating something like that would be-"

"One of us."

"Exactly," I agreed. "And we know neither of us created it. I'll go to the Ministry and have a look at it myself today before classes start."

"No. If either one of us goes near it, it would hatch instantly, especially you. You are Life and Death combined into one. Your very energy would cause the egg to hatch and unleash it's contents."

"Great," I said, annoyed. "we have an egg shaped Pandora's Box xaround and we can't do a thing with it."

"Not Pandora's Box, that one was -"

"I know, I know," I said irritably. "I was there with you when she opened it, remember? It's because of her curiousity that humans are how they are now. In that respect, I suppose I have a lot to thank her for."

"Quite." he agreed before vanishing without another word.

As I sat there, the sun finally rose, and I decided to go get some breakfast, as my stomach was loudly protesting a distinct lack of fuel.

I headed downstairs and into the Great Hall, which was empty for the moment.  Sitting down, I conjured myself a cup of tea, and added some sugar as an afterthought. Unlike other people's magic, I could conjure both food and drink, as could my children.

As I sat sipping my tea, the tables suddenly filled with food and overhead, I heard the sound of the school waking up. Moments later, a stampede of students came down, including my kids, who took seats by me, followed shortly by Harry's kids, then Ron and Hermione's. All were yawning loudly.

"Tired?" I asked with a smile. "I've been up since before dawn."

"Yeah well, not all of us are used to early mornings Da -" Shaun started, before James interrupted.

"Yeah, Dean, we're not all used to it."

Shaun blushed as he realised his blunder.

"Shaun, while I'm at school with you all, you can't call me dad. You have to call me Dean." I made sure to send this message telepathically.

"But why?"

"Because if people find out I'm really your father, things may get hairy."

"But everyone knows our dad is Death anyway, and since Death is Immortal -"

"Everyone being Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny, and everyone else who was involved in the Battle of Hogwarts. No one's parents would have told them that I was Death."

Shaun nodded to show he understood, then got on with his breakfast.

 "So," I said jovially. "What lessons has everyone got first?"

"Potions, then Transfiguration, followed by Defence Against the Dark Arts." Shaun said.

James piped up that he and Jase had Transfiguration first.

"Lucky. I've got History of Magic first." I said. In truth, I was looking forward to seeing how the rest of the world viewed magical history, as I'd literally lived it all.

I finished my breakfast and walked to History of Magic, where I found a stressed Hermione still setting up.

"Oh, hi Dean." she said, hunting in her desk for something.

"Herm, don't you think you've taken a bit much on?" I asked, sitting down.

"A little." she admitted.

"Have you tried Accio?" I said, shaking my head.

"Oh, yes of course - accio!" she cried, raising her wand. A small stack of papers flew out into her hands and she looked relieved.

As the other students entered, she looked more and more nervous.

I suddenly realised something. She was supposed to be teaching History of Magic and Transfiguration. Transfiguration was also happening right now. There were no more Time Turners.

"Hermione," I said in a whisper, pulling her aside. "You're meant to be teaching Transfiguration."

"I know!" she half cried, half whispered. "But I don't know if -"

"Go," I said. "I'll have a word with the Headmaster."

"Thanks." she said, relieved. "Class, I have to nip out now. Behave." Saying this, she ran out and I followed suit.

Heading to the Headmaster's office, I found it empty, but all the portraits were awake and looking at me.

"Hello, everyone." I said, waving.

"Back again, Dean?" Albus said, eyes twinkling.

"I couldn't get enough of it last time I was here." I joked.

Severus humphed and scowled.

"Nice to see you too." I said. "Where's the Headmaster? Hermione's taken on more than she can handle - again, and now there's no teacher for History of Magic."

"Why don't you teach it, Dean? Surely with your knowledge, it'd be the perfect post." Albus said, smiling.

"Not a bad idea, Albus. I'll ask the Headmaster when he gets back."

I sat to wait, and, moments later, he walked in, jumping in surprise when he saw me sat there.

"Oh. Dean. It's just you." he said.

I filled him in on Hermione's troubles, and Albus' plan.

"Do you think you could handle it?"

"Headmaster, don't insult me. I was Death for countless aeons. This will be a pice of cake." I said.

"If you're sure. . ." he said.

"Positive." I replied.

He took me back to the classroom, where he explained to the astounded students that I was to be their newest teacher.

"Why him?" Desiree Crump wanted to know.

"Mr Lovegood here has a vast knowledge of magical history. I have every faith he will do as good as job at teaching you as Professor Granger would."

As he left, I faced the classroom full of students, none of who seemed very impressed with me. Maybe this wouldn't be as easy as I first thought. . .

Miles away, in the Department of Mysteries, Avery Strode, a new Unspeakable, was moving some things around when the egg caught his eye.

The egg wobbled. Just once.