Chapter 1

Me and James were so close as kids. Even closer than all my other friends. Me and Alex were close as well, I usually got along well with the males in class rather than the female species. Most of my elementary school life in Denver was tease, tease, tease just because I hung out with the boys. I remember a girl who was really popular come up to me and ask, "so, which of the boys do you like? Mean as well you hang out with them all." I shrugged, I hadn't thought about the guys like that in my class honestly. Later on, my mom picked me up around 11 from school and once I was in the car she said "we're moving your stuff is packed already" she said with a very stern voice. I didn't bother asking where or why knowing that my parents had gotten in a fight the night before at dinner.

Me and my friends all stayed in touch over the years while I was away. I spent my 3 years thinking all about my friends, still to this day I don't know why we moved. Then in my third week of the seventh grade my parents had gotten a divorce with each other. I was devastated, he was the light of my life along with my 9 year old brother Liam.

My mom finally announced that we were moving back to Denver. Me and my brother were so excited we couldn't sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once we arrived I knew that I would be able to see my friends in a matter of seconds. Until something changed, instead of getting into the old house immediately, we had to wait for ANOTHER week until we could go home "another week!?  We just get back and run in circles in excitement and THIS is what I have to do, wait!?" I said in my head.  "Guys, the house isn't ours yet the movers have more things to get to their permanent house, plus I have to sign off the papers with them." Mom announced.  Liam and I groaned, I figured I would text dad and see if I could visit him because mom wouldn't care.

    Once I had called dad no response, so I figured he had just missed the telephone ring.  I called again, no response.  5 more desperate times of calling, no answer.  I finally gave up, but just as I had sat down next to Liam my phone had rang, it read out the name label DAD, I ran away from the noise towards the restrooms and answered.
  "Hello?" I asked intensely.
  "I've been getting several calls from this number, who is this?" a manly voice, not dad's, had demanded a response.
"Uh, I'm Claire Miller, who is this?  I was hoping to speak to Damian Miller?"
"I'm Officer Alex, I work for the Denver police station.  Your friend Damian Miller is in-" he cut himself off and added, "how do you know this man, did you work with him in his crime?"
I took a long pause and stared at my crystal dad have given me when I was really little, I recalled he said it was magical in some way which I had forgotten.
  "I'm his daughter, can I visit him?  Wait you sound like my old friend Alex Benanti...  Do you know him by any chance?"
  He chuckled softly then spoke, "Yeah I know him, because he's me.  And of course you can visit him."
  Our conversation went on for a while before mom had called me over with the rental car.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FINALLY!  It was time to go home, mom was loading us into the rental Ford F150 with  trailer hauling some things we brought from home in Denver to the home we just moved out of back home.   I grabbed my bag shoved it in the trunk and jumped in next to Liam, AND WE'RE OFF!

  When we arrived I was so happy even my next door neighbor was running over with chocolates.  "Hello Bailey!  Welcome back, your remters were terrifying.  They were always in the yard throwing rocks at Albert and I had to bring him to the vet for getting hit in the head with a rock which knocked him out.  They were just terrible." She had explained to mom.