Chapter 3

The weather was moderately chilly as the evening sun slowly descended into the horizon. My eyes were fixed on the lovely sunset in the window as I took a break from doing my homework. A long sigh escaped my lips, thinking about all the fun stuff people my age must be doing on this particular Friday evening. If only I had the guts to go out and join them. My phone buzzed suddenly and I picked it up. It was a Facebook notification from Rachel, she had posted a pic of herself and tagged all the other girls from my friend group in it. On my lock screen the preview showed Rachel's say on the pic, 'Out with my girlfriends drunk as a horse. Anyone up for a wild night, text me! (P.S I am not a WHORE just wildly desperate)

I knew that Rachel was definitely not the one who typed that. Probably Fiona playing a practical joke. Rachel was going to be furious when she sees it next morning, battling a raging hangover.

I placed my phone down next to my book and rested my elbows on the desk, still looking at the sky slowly go dark. The girls had gone to some guy's party whose house was barely 5 miles away from mine. Of course, they had invited me along but I declined because the party scene didn't bode well too me. Plus, it had been a long day and I couldn't take any more of Rachel's fake giggling or Kenna's constant skin contact.

Just then there was a smart rap on my door. I raised my eyebrow in surprise because my dad was the only other person who lived here and he seldom bothered me. I stood up and slowly opened the door halfway. My dad was standing there looking awkward and nervous. He had his hands stuffed in the pockets of his suit. It never seemed to stop surprising me how young he looked every time I saw him. His sleek, jet black hair had strands of grey in them they rarely made a difference. He certainly did not look like the dad of a 16-year-old girl. But I guess that was the problem, My dad was a handsome man and my mom was a handsome woman. It was probably all the ego that was infused in that relationship that made it fail so miserably.

"Uh, yes dad?" I asked, opening the door fully.

He wouldn't meet my eyes. Normally he was a smart, brisk, confident rich man, but he fell short in front of his only daughter. The kind of behavior that could only be racked my guilt, "I meant to tell you this sooner..." he said, in a steady voice.

There was aching silence in the background as I stared at him, waiting to hear the rest.

"I've been seeing someone" he stated.

My stomach dropped as I bit my lip. It'd been six months, a voice in my head said. It's been only six months.

"She's very lovely Alexis. And has a great knack for cooking and dancing—" he stopped and cleared his throat, "The thing is, It's getting serious and she wants to meet you. I agree with her obviously so I told her lets set a date. But she insisted sooner."

"Okay" I said, slowly, "Is she downstairs?"

My dad nodded his head, not uttering a word.

"I'll be ready in 5."

I began closing the door when he said, "I'm sorry Alex. For springing this up on you—"

"Dad" I stopped him, "It's fine. Go, I'll be there."

He gave me a small smile and then turned to walk back down the stairs.

--

The woman who greeted me when I walked down the stairs was indeed very lovely. A little too lovely.

"Alexis!" she squealed as she suddenly pulled me into a tight hug. Then she stepped back to look at me like I did to look at her.

She was a busty blonde woman, with big blue eyes and curves in all the right places. Her waist was barely like 6 inches. She was the kind of woman that made me insecure about myself. After the incident I had gone into depression and grown a sickly thin, but eventually when I came out of it I hogged food like a gorilla. And sure enough the results had shown. I had the kind of body that grew overweight very easily so I always had to watch myself. I unconsciously pulled down the helm of my black dress, giving her a small smile, "It's just Alex."