Chapter 2

Claire

My name is Claire Bennett. I used to live in Dover, DE with both my parents until things got sour between them and they got a divorce. Prior to the divorce, I had no idea things were getting bad between them. They made sure they weren't at each other's throats whenever I was there so I thought things were good right up till Mom told me they were getting a divorce. So I was forced to deal with it and went with my mom who moved to Jonestown, CA. I've never liked moving cause that meant losing my friends, being new and all that. But I had to cause I didn't really have much of a choice.

First day in Jonestown High School

I wasn't really nervous cause with all the moving we've had to do since I was young, I had pretty much gotten used to being new and having almost no friends so it wasn't really new to me. As I got ready for school, Mom came into my room.

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" She asked.

"It's totally fine, Mom, really", I replied.

"Alright then, just hurry up or you're going to be late." she said with a sigh.

I got ready quickly and went downstairs where Mom was seated waiting for me. When she saw me, she got up and we went to the car and started off to my school. The ride was pretty quiet cause I was in no mood to talk anyway.

When we got to my school, she followed me to the principal's office where she introduced me to him. He told her he'd take me to my class so there was no need for her to stay.

"Will you be okay, Honey?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, I'll be fine. Bye." I replied.

As she left, the principal took me to Maths, the class I had that morning. As he opened the door and stepped in, the class went quiet and I could literally feel the eyes of everyone in class on me which was something I'd gotten pretty used to.

"We have a new student with us today." Turning to me, he said,"Introduce yourself."

I stepped forward, looked at the class and said,"My name is Claire Bennett. I just moved into Jonestown. Thank you."

"Thank you, Claire. Go find a seat and make yourself comfortable." the principal said.

Scanning the class quickly, I saw there was a vacant seat near the back. I walked there without looking at anyone in particular.

As I approached the seat, I saw that the person seated next to it stared at me through my seemingly long journey to the seat. I did my best to ignore the looks and sat facing forward without so much as glancing at him.

I noticed he kept giving me looks throughout the class and I knew once the class was over, he'd want to introduce himself.

So as soon as the bell went, I got up and hurried out of the class before he could say anything.

I decided to go to the cafeteria later on to get something to eat. I didn't really have an appetite but I had nothing better to do anyway. As I was taking my tray to an empty table, looking to eat without anyone disturbing my peace, I spotted the guy seated beside me during Maths coming towards my table.

"Great", I said to myself with a sigh. He had to be here right now just When I thought I could think in peace.

He sat opposite me for almost a full minute without saying a word.

"Well, if that's what suits you, I'm down with that" I thought to myself.

"Hello.",he said.

I refused to grace him with a response thinking he'd leave. But I was wrong.

"Hey, Claire. I'm Jack."

I looked up and said,"So what?".

Even I felt it sting. Ouch. I could tell he wasn't used to being treated the way I did.

"Hey, what's with the attitude? Are you usually like this or do you just behave this way when cute guys try to introduce themselves to you?", he replied.

Realizing no matter what I did, he still wouldn't go away and I'd probably say something I might regret, I decided the best course of action was to leave.

So I picked my tray and headed out of the cafeteria and dumped food and tray into the bin on my way out.

Okay, so maybe I shouldn't have treated him that rudely. But I know guys like him, the kind who change girls like they change their underwear. And I do not appreciate him fixating on me.

I've seen girls who were victims of guys like him. It's not something I'd like to become eventually so I'll do my best to steer clear of him. And that's putting it lightly.