Chapter One

A Good Aberration to You, Sir

The air is blue and keen and cold

"Oh, Belle, dear!" Maurice yelled from outside. With the weather nice outside, her father was always out and about, working on his latest inventions. His latest innovation was such a huge success, he was always crafting it and selling it. "Belle!"

Belle finished combing her hair and raced out the door to where her father stood with a large box full of utensils. She grabbed it, smiling at her father. "Hello, Father, would you like me to sell these?"

He rubbed his mustache, not quite noticing her. It took him a few moments for her to regain his attention. "Oh" – he continued to fumble with his mustache – "yes, dear, please go out to the Village. I will be here when you come back, and we shall have dinner made specially by me."

She smiled. "All right, Father, I shall be back for dinner." And then she went.

Mornings are wonderful, she thought. They're the definition of happiness.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

The birds were singing, the clouds were dancing, the world was spinning, and Belle was grinning. It was a lovely day to go into the Village. The sun had just woke up from a long sleep, and Belle felt as if the sun's rays were giving her the energy she needed to go on with the day.

She hummed a song her father always sang while he worked. He called it his working song, but she didn't think he sung it while he worked. She recalled him singing everywhere – in the bathroom, while taking a shower, working on his ideas, whenever he and Belle sat together and read – just everywhere. Belle had picked up on the habit not long after her second birthday.

Everyone in the Village always mentioned how much she reminded them of her father. Maurice was an oddball to the Villagers, but they appreciated the man nonetheless. Not just because of his marvelous inventions but also because of his daughter, Belle. Her mother had died giving birth to her, and the people knew that it was rough on Maurice the first few years. He was a single father with a young girl in his care. Not many men would feel capable of handling that, but Maurice knew he could. It was just that money was tight those years when Belle was too young to be left alone so he had to stay home and watch her. But now with Belle going out and selling their products, they were getting better.

She was nearing the Village. The Village was always the highlight of her day. With the different smells and gorgeous sights of different colored dresses, she was presented with amazement. She didn't have many dresses – not that she needed that many. All she owned was five dresses that fit her perfectly well. They were her mother's, and Belle didn't think that any dress could outshine the ones she had at home.