The Rise of the Raven

The carriage wheels bounced over the muddy road, sending loud clacks into the night. The man inside the carriage looked out of the small foggy window at the landscape in front of him. A strange mist hung over the air, but it somehow seemed familiar to him. It forced him to recall the dark times in his past. He shuddered and pulled his coat tighter. He forced the strange feeling to the back of his mind as his large manor came into view.

"Griegor, make haste," the man shouted to the driver outside, "I miss my family."

The driver smiled, Lord Ravencroft was always looking out for the common people, especially more so with his family, "You don't need to ask me twice, my lord." Griegor smiled, he was always pleased to serve his master.

Ravencroft laughed, "I told you to call me Thomas, about what? A thousand times now?"

Griegor looked back at the man through a small window, "Any man who saves a gimp of an orphan from starvation deserves to be called 'Lord', my lord."

Ravencroft nodded, that day was one he'd never forget. A starving child with a broken leg was left to die in the streets, but Lord Ravencroft wouldn't let that happen. Death was something he embraced a long time ago, but since the day he met the fair maiden waiting for him in the manor, he had changed his ways. She brought out the best in him, and he in turn tried all he could to help others.

"Here we are, my lord, the Ravencroft Manor," Griegor pulled the carriage to a stop and hopped down from his perch. He turned to grab his crutch from his seat and then hobbled to the carriage door, "Looks like you got a visitor," he smiled at Lord Ravencroft.

Thomas swung his carriage door open, his black cloak flapping about him. A large smile crept onto his face.

In front of him was a small girl in a white dress. She held her hands behind her back, nervously twisting side to side. Her head was tilted down slightly. Lord Ravencroft could see her sneak looks at him from time to time.

He stood up straight and put a stern look on his face. He held a rugged stare at the girl, his eyes like piercing daggers.

She snuck one glance up at him. As their eyes met, Lord Ravencroft did the unexpected.

He stuck his tongue out.

The girl laughed and ran to him, jumping into his arms. He picked her up and swung her about. They both laughed into the night sky.

"Samantha, my dear, I have missed you much," he squeezed his daughter tighter in his arms.

She let out a grunt, "You're squishing me." She tried to wiggle away.

"If you leave now, you won't get your present," Thomas raised his eyebrows at her.

Samantha gasped in excitement, "What is it!?"

He set her down and turned to Griegor, "Griegor, my daughter's..."

"Already got it, my Lord," He handed Lord Ravencroft a small wooden box.

"Thanks Griegor, you're always one step ahead." Thomas took the box from Griegor, and he gave a slight nod.

Thomas turned to his daughter and pulled the lid from the box. He knelt down and revealed a white doll.

Samantha squealed and went to grab for it.

Lord Ravencroft pulled away slightly, "Careful dear, it is fragile."

She slowly reached for it and cradled it in her arms, "Is this from France?"

"It is, one of the finest. I missed you so much, when I saw it in the shop I thought of you immediately, and I had to buy it," He stood back up and started to usher her to the doorway. He turned to Griegor who was already unloading the carriage. "Take the bags to my room, if you will Griegor." The servant nodded, and Lord Ravencroft turned back to his daughter.