Chapter 7: The Guard

Omni gasped at the sight of such a massive monastery. The tiles of the roof were jade, the walls gold, and the floor of the courtyard was made of fine quartz. It was beautiful, especially the specifically chosen flowers in the corners of the courtyard.

Raylana stiffened and sneezed. "Excuse me." Her voice was stuffy.

Omni smiled. "It's so pretty!"

Pearl laughed. "It's huge!"

Audrie said nothing, but stared in awe at the building around her. Araceli and Flare's faces both lit up with massive grins. All six girls began to laugh.

"This is so amazing!" They all cheered at once.

"This is your new home." Quantiliro smiled. "Boys! Come meet our new guests!" He hollered.

The monastery's main building's door was flung open. Six men, each close to forty years old, came running out.

"Girls, these are the guardians. Entale, of Vatra. Immense, of Voda. Loke, of Zemlja. Myro, of Vazduh. Alla, of Um. And finally, Sirius, of Senka." Quantiliro introduced each in turn. "They will be training you and teaching you."

"Aye, as the keeper says!"

Quantiliro winced. "Could you boys learn to be quiet?"

"Aye, keeper." They said, somewhat quieter.

"Now, I am going to meditate. You may get to know each other." The old man went inside the main building.

The boys instantly seemed to relax.

"Welcome to the monastery, our home." Entale grinned.

"Thank you." Flare smiled.

The moment was suddenly interrupted by humming. Everyone turned to Myro.

"You have to meditate right now?" Loke snapped.

"It helps me relax." Myro was cross-legged on the floor.

Sirius grinned evilly. "Well in that case, we'll just leave you to it." He tiptoed around behind Myro and pulled a frog out of his pocket.

"If you're going to dump water on my head again it's not going to work." Myro said without missing a beat.

"Now why would he do that?" Alla picked right up on what Sirius was doing.

"Because Sirius isn't very serious." Myro cracked his knuckles, but didn't open his eyes.

"Come on, Myro, don't you trust me after sixteen years of training together?" Sirius grinned and raised his empty hand high into the air.

"You don't want me to answer that."

Entale rolled his eyes, clearly waiting for something.

"Well then I suppose I should tell the keeper about that..." Sirius brought his empty hand down onto the frog's head. It let out a horrifying croak, and Myro shot five feet forward.

"Sirius!" He yelled and climbed to his feet.

"You went so far! I scared you real bad!"

"Draw." Myro frowned deeply.

Sirius gulped at the sight of Myro's katana being unsheathed. "Aw, come on man! It's just a joke!"

"One."

"Seriously, cut me some slack here..."

"Two."

Swords crossed on "three." Sirius was still shaking in his sandals, but had managed to unsheathe his own katana. Myro scowled.

"It seems I need to teach you another lesson."

"Back off, man! It was just a joke!"

"Come on, Myro, that's enough." Entale attempted to stop the oncoming fight.

"Not until he apologizes." Myro barked. "No wonder I've been having nightmares lately..." The second part was mostly to himself.

"Myro!" Loke finally said something. "Stand down by the authority of your leader!"

"You're not my leader..." Myro muttered. He promptly got a crack on the head from a wooden staff.

"You were told to stand down, Myro. I determined Loke as your leader before and so he is still." Quantiliro frowned. "There are greater battles to fight than one with your brother."

"Aye, keeper." Myro sheathed his katana with no further argument.

Quantiliro nodded. "Good boy."