5

The carriage pulled up to a large castle, and I felt my eyes widen. There had to be more than five stories, easy. There were more than enough people in and out of the palace, and I was slowly regretting attending. But, Godmother said I would find the love of my life here, and I trusted her. I also found it odd that you could trust someone that broke into your house so easily. But, I did.
     As the carriage pulled up to the side of the palace, I took a few deep breaths before opening the door and stepping out. Everyone turned to see who showed up so late, men and women alike. And, when they saw me, the refused to look away. I saw some girls looking me up and down. A few guys looked surprised, and I just kept my eyes forward, refusing to make contact with anyone.
     When I entered the palace doors, they closed behind me with a loud, BANG! I felt my face heat up, and I looked to the ground, admiring the steps as I made my way down. I only looked up when I reached the bottom, and saw that almost everyone was staring at me. I looked down again, and waited a few minutes before looking up again. Everyone went back to their conversations or dancing. I stayed close to the walls, wondering why Godmother would think I would meet the love of my life here.
     Just as I got up the courage to leave the ball, someone approached me and smiled. They had bright blonde hair, and I could barely see their bright blue eyes through their mask.
     "Cinder?" He asked, smiling down at me. I smiled back, and looked him up and down. "Henry?" Henry nodded, and his smile brightened.
     We made small talk throughout the entire night, and when I looked at the clock, I realized it was only 11. I was surprise to say the least. It felt like we had been talking for hours, not only about 45 minutes.
     We made our way outside, and he lead me through the woods. We sat on a log and talked for an even longer time. About ourselves, our families, and even more. I found it odd that he refused to say any names, but didn't ask him about it.
     After a few minutes, I could hear someone out in the courtyard calling everyone back to the palace. Henry looked a little upset, and I asked him about it. He looked at me, and put a smile on his face, though I could tell it was a little forced.
     "Do you ever feel like, you don't have control over you life?" He asked me as we walked back to the palace. I thought about his question for a minute before answering. "Yeah, most of the time actually." I laughed, and he looked at me questioningly. I sighed. "My life was never my choice," I explained. "Coming here is the first self-made decision I've had in a long, long time. As in about two years."
     Henry looked at me, a little confused. "How come?"
     I sighed again. "My father died two years ago when I was sixteen," I started. "After that, my Step-Mother took me in, and has treated me like her own slave for years."
     Henry winced, and looked at me, before he appeared to get an idea.
     "Do you want to do something?" He asked me. I raised an eyebrow, and looked him up and down. He was wearing a white tuxedo, which now had grass stains on it from being in the woods. I smiled, and rolled my eyes. "What would we do?"
     "Run away." He said, clear as day. My eyes widened. "Are you crazy?" I asked. "Have you been drinking to much bark juice?" Henry laughed, and shook his head. "No, Cinder. I haven't. It's just, I don't like my life being chosen for me. And, you don't either!" I sighed, raking my hands through my hair. I brought them to my face, and sighed. "I don't know Henry."
     He looked a little disappointed, I could tell. "I'll think about it. But, I just don't know.
     We made our way back to the palace in silence, and when we opened the door, I realized it wasn't the front one, but one in the back. I looked at Henry and raised an eyebrow.
     "Are we allowed back here?" I asked. He sighed, looking down at me with a Mona Lisa smile. "I am." I raised an eyebrow. "But, you shouldn't."
     Before I could ask what he meant, he pushed me to the wall, and looked down the hall before back to me. I could hear people outside, and someone shouting.
     "Stay here." He said, before putting something in my hand, letting go and running down the hall. As he ran away, I looked at the object he put in my hand.
     I had his mask.
     Why did he leave it behind?
     Flipping it around, I felt something written on the cloth. I was confused as I walked over to a candle hanging on the wall. I took it down, and held it to the mask. I gasped, placing the candle back and reading the writing on the back over and over again.
     Prince Henry.