Day 5

Saturday

When I woke up on Saturday morning, I instantly remembered my date today. I looked through my closet and tried to pick out the best outfit possible. I didn't want to be too fancy, since we were having a more casual date, but I also didn't want to be too casual. I also didn't want to wear too many layers, in case I wanted to try on clothes at the mall.

I ended up picking out a blue t-shirt, tight black leggings, tan boots, and my rainbow bracelet. Then I texted Alex to let her know that I was ready.

Alex was coming to pick me up, since she had a car and I didn't. When she pulled up in my driveway, I shouted to my mom, "Bye mom, I'm going to the mall with a friend, I'll be home before 3." She waved goodbye as I walked out the door.

I stepped into the passenger seat of Alex's Spark, and smiled.

"Hi," I said, as I leaned in to kiss Alex's cheek.

"Hey. Ready to go to the mall?"

"Yep, I've got 40 dollars."

"Good."
...

While we were in the car, Alex and I talked about all the stores we wanted to go to. We decided on five mandatory stores, which would leave enough time for lunch and the drive home.

When we arrived at the mall, we got out of the car, and Alex took my hand as we crossed the parking lot. We entered the mall and went straight to the top floor, so we could work our way down to the food court.

The first store we went to was more emo styles, Alex's pick.

When we walked in, Alex tried on a bunch of outfits, and forced me to try on a pair of skinny jeans. I didn't buy anything, but Alex bought a t-shirt.

We left the store, and Alex grabbed my hand. We headed down the aisle to the next store on our route.

We entered the store that I suggested- a graphic tee shop. I got a shirt that Alex picked out for me, and she bought a small bracelet.

We held hands on our way to the next shop. This one had all different styles of clothes, and we dared each other to try on crazy outfits. We laughed until we cried, and it was all worth it. Neither of us bought anything at that store, because we were saving our money for something better.

Next, we stopped at Build a Bear, so we could make each other a stuffed animal. This store was really expensive, but luckily I knew the manager, so she gave us a discount.

We decided that we would make a bear without the other knowing so we could surprise each other with the results. I picked out a dark red teddy bear with brown eyes. I went to the stuffing machine, did the heart ritual, and filled up the bear until it was nice and fluffy. I went over to the clothes rack to pick out an outfit. I found an outfit that I liked, and put it on the bear. Finally, I went to the naming station to name the bear.

When I met back up with Alex after purchasing our bears, I gave her mine. It had on a black t-shirt with a rainbow heart and a cheetah print skirt, along with pink bows on its ears.

"Her name is Alex," I said.

"Oh, it's so cute!" Alex said to me. "I love it!"

She handed me mine. It was a white teddy bear. It had on a light pink shirt that had the word love written on it in cursive, and a pink tutu. On its feet were two little black shoes, that had sequin hearts on the toe.

"Her name is Cassidy Bear."

"Thanks so much!" I said. "I love her, just like I love you."

I pulled my girlfriend into a hug, and kissed her on the cheek. She kissed me back. I was suddenly aware that we had just kissed in public, and people were looking at us. My cheeks grew red, and Alex laughed.
...

We went to the last few stores on our agenda, buying cheap mall junk along the way. We were saving our money for lunch.

When we got down to the food court, we set our purchases down on a table. We decided we would get cheeseburgers from the burger shop. Once we got up to the cash register, Alex offered to pay for our lunch.

"Here, I'll pay," she said.

"It's fine, I still have money left," I said, handing the cashier my money. Alex swatted my hand down and gave the cashier a ten dollar bill.

"Keep the change," she said.

Once we returned to our table, I looked at Alex. "What was that about? Why wouldn't you let me pay?"

She took my hand. "Because I have a surprise for after lunch, and you might want to save your money."

When they called our number, Alex got up to grab our food. I couldn't help wondering what the surprise could be.

Alex came back to the table and bit into her burger. "Mmm, this burger is perfect," she said. "Just like you.

"Aww, thanks," I said and blushed. "So what is your surprise?"

"Well, it's not really a surprise, but it's an idea. So, I know it's probably hard for you to hide me from your parents. Maybe it would make you feel better to come out?" She asked hopefully.

"Alex, remember what I said last time? I'm... just not ready..." I was really scared.

(A/N: Again, it is NEVER okay to out someone. If they don't want to come out they don't have to. Don't come out until you're ready. I honestly don't know why I added this part to the story.)

"Please? I'll help you, I promise. I'll stay by your side every step of the way, if you promise to do this for me." She was looking at me with her puppy eyes. She really wanted me to do this. At least I could do it for real, since I had my sexuality mostly figured out.

"Fine. At least I won't have to hide anymore."

Alex leaned in and gave me a hug, right across the table. "You won't regret it. Well, you might. But it can't be any worse than how you are right now. And I know you are still unsure about your sexuality, but it's always okay to change your mind, once you discover more about yourself."

"Thanks," I said. "You know, I actually think I'm ready. You've really helped me." I looked at my girlfriend. I really liked her. "So, what's the plan?"

"I know this store," she said.
...

After Alex dropped me back off at home, I made sure I had everything I needed. I was worried, but I was sure that everything would work out. Tomorrow, Alex would come over and help me come out to my parents. It had to be tomorrow, because we only had one day left before the surgery. I was worried, but I had to do it. For me. For Alex.