Chapter 5

I guess I should make this short then.

Cain was cursed; he was too jealous, self-conceited, violent, and nonsensical.

I know what you think, mom. I really do.

How could that sweet kid be cursed and wretched? You're thinking that, in the brisk of a cry out. However, I must tell you this; I must tell you what happened after I saw that little smirk on Cain's face. Before you would say, 'he became afraid of you, and noo, he did not smirk! He was in the verge of crying!' I will tell you something.

Well, boo-ho. Your words hold no truth. He did smirk, and right after that, he began to act like a victim.

Why?

Because he knew something I didn't. That to be considered a victim, first you must act like it. And that, he did perfectly. Even though he has never been one himself until his death. But I guess that's beside the point. The point is that the process was slow and subtle. It didn't happen from one day to another. No.

People just slowly withdrew from me and avoid me. As I was never the popular type of guy, I didn't even notice it at first. Even when those friends-wanna-bees stopped being so overfriendly and talkative with me, I did not realize it. These were my only thoughts:

"Oh, they finally got some common sense and got that I wasn't not interested in them what so ever. Well, maybe a bit, I had, but..."

But that part was crushed by Cain so beautifully and effortlessly.

By making them avoid me, he proved me right. That there's no need to bother with humans, because they're weak, vulnerable, and so damn gullible and clueless about life. And most of all, they are cowards.

That's the reason no one ever stops a bully if they disagree with him. They just stop and watch and think and think how they should help, but they cannot. Why?

Because hell knows what will happen to them if they do something.

They just selfishly walk pass by and that's smart. To avoid danger when possible is clever, but it's also boring and predictable. We were supposed to be on the top of food chain, yet at the first sight of danger, we flew and ran with our tails back.

I find that... average. Though I knew there are some exceptions, I didn't meet that person until high school. Before, people avoided me, some talked about me, and there were few who actually tried to insult me, but then got scared and ran away.

All in all, everyone avoided me like a plague because of Cain's pain and those bruises on him. No one ever questioned his words, because he was charismatic, knew how to play victim, popular, and likeable by everyone. He was like the sun to the people; they just didn't know how fake his light was. Instead of the sun, he was like a drug with radioactive poison in it. They breathed the air around him, thinking they were breathing oxygen and not a poisonous gas.

When I removed that drug, people rebelled. It did not matter to them that it's not good to live on drugs. That can even, yes, mom, kill you.

So, when someone saves you from your involuntary death, you should be grateful. Funny that despite that, no one wanted to acknowledge that fact, but me. Only ever me.

And then there was that girl. She was such a sweet and interesting girl. A loner like me, yet invisible to most. She was like the combination of Cain and me with consciousness and a shady, extremely gray soul. She wanted the spotlight, yet she couldn't take it. She was quiet and never tried to change it. She was also an observer just like me and would never hurt a fly unless someone provokes her. Even then, she probably wouldn't hurt it, not right away.

At the same time, she wasn't well informed about many things and cared little for her fellow humans to actually step in when trouble comes. That is, until she noticed me. Funny thing, unlike all the others, she was so sucked in by observing others that she failed to notice or know anything about me until she left behind a phone number, and a phone for me.

That was our first contact.