Chapter 9: Still Standing

After my bath, Bam helps me dress and combs my hair, then dries it with a towel. He is beyond sweet. He gives me a light kiss on the neck before we leave the bathroom. My mom is already rushing to prepare us dinner. Alex and my dad are back from the pharmacy too.

“Here are your pain meds.” Alex tells me, handing me the orange bottle.

“Thanks.” I reply, popping it open and swallowing one down with a cup of water she hands me as well.

“What’s for dinner?” My father asks.

“I’m making us some homemade pizza and salad.” She replies as she chops up some lettuce.

            “I can’t wait, dear.” My father says, making me smile.

            I ponder their marriage and wonder if I will have a husband like him, sweet and caring. I try to imagine my future without Bam but it’s impossible. Bam is my everything at the moment and I plan on it staying that way for as long as possible. I wonder what my, or our, future will bring. I try to picture Bam in a tuxedo and that makes me giggle.

            “What’s so funny?” Bam questions with a grin.

            “Nothing. I think it’s the pills.” I lie.

            “Honey, how much pain are you in? If you need a bigger pain prescription I’ll call the doctor.” My mother pipes up as she continues with dinner.

            “I’m fine.” I respond with a shake of my head.

            With the mention of pain, I notice how sore my stitches are. I adjust my position and the ache in my ribs makes me hold my breath. I figure it is one of those things that will get worse before it gets better.

            “Do you want me to help you make dinner?” I ask my mother.

            “No, you need to rest.” She replies firmly, pointing the wooden spoon she’s using at me.

            “I’ll help.” Bam says, heading over to our small apartment kitchen.

            “Thank you, Bam.” She replies, looking up at him gratefully.

            I observe my mother and my boyfriend as they work together to finish our simple yet delicious dinner. My father watches too, pleased. It makes me smile from ear to ear. Alex has locked herself in her room as she changes into different clothes. I appreciate her staying to help me rather than escaping to hang out with Ryan. I know my parents like seeing her anyway.

            “Dinner is almost ready.” My mom calls out.

            My stomach growls with emptiness when I smell the pizza cooking. It’s been a while since I’ve had a meal cooked by my mother, no matter the lack of ingredients and kitchen space. It all makes me realize how much I really missed my parents.

            “How’s the guitar going?” My dad asks, noticing my guitar sitting in the corner of the room.

            “It’s going well. I’ve written a few songs since last time I saw you.” I tell him.

            “Have you shared any with Bam?” My dad asks, lowering his voice to protect my secrecy.

            “I have. I’m trying to step out of my comfort zone more. With Bam, I feel like I can do that.” I reply with a smile.

            “Good for you. I’m proud.” My dad says with a grin.

            “You and Bam fit together well.” My dad adds, surprising me with his acceptance.