Chapter Eight

Liam's POV

I make my way to the recliner, which is in fact big enough for two, and stretch out with my legs hanging across the arm rest. Why does she always have to make things so awkward?

"Dude, Erin wants to know if you're a dreamboat or a douche-bag..." I shrug back at his questioning face and then he grins back at me.

Laughing a little as he rummages through the cupboard full of cookies, he tilts his head back in a chuckle- "Oh, definitely a dreamboat!" he says as he passes a bag of grapes to me.

I throw the walkie-talkie on to the cushion and nestle my head into the back of the recliner, my fingers drumming the side, needing a distraction. "So, what's with that girl you were talking to?" I suggest, trying to infuse the right amount of interest into my voice, to hide the contempt. Callum props himself up onto the bar stool and cocks his head to the side.

"Who? Avery?" He suddenly seems slightly on edge, protective if you like. I think carefully about my choice of words, because he clearly has a soft spot for her.

"I guess so...Your girlfriend?" I question, chucking a grape in his direction and raising my eyebrows, watching his face tint a satisfying pink. So he's a romantic, eh?

"No. I mean- kinda. As in, we're friends. Really good friends...now. But, not like that" He stammers, shrugging and frowning down at the ground.

"Yet?"

"Ever. She's a friend. I'm not going to lose her by making a move" he says firmly, shutting the cupboard and moving over to the fire. I sense that the conversation is closed, and don't dare open it up again. But something is nagging at me to go on.

What's her problem? Did she mean all those things she said back on the balcony? She doesn't even know me. But is that really how I come across to people?

Urgh.

Okay Liam. Think tactfully here, just like football. I need a game plan. How am I gonna bring it up again? I could...

It'll have to be later, I think as I hear the girls giggling in Erin's yard and running towards the cabin. "I think the girls are here- do you know who got Erin?"

"No, but I'm warning you now. The pretty ones bite" He's grinning now, which I guess, I’m thankful for- the edgy atmosphere was getting kinda tense. I walk over to him and we watch the door as we listen to the clanging footsteps of Erin and her partner.

I wonder if she's hot? I think, the possible outcomes skimming through my mid like a film- God I need to get out!

The door suddenly bursts open and I smile in expectance, being the welcoming host I am. Erin almost knocks over the bookcase as she drags in her partner.

Their faces are beaming, eyes glistening and hair bouncing.

Callum looks happier than he has all night. And me?

I'm frozen.

This cannot be happening. Can it? No. Not in my cabin.

Her face changes to one of mortification and the colour rushed from her cheeks. She looks completely deflated and as cheated as I do. Why Her?

Why Avery?

"Heeey guys!" Erin smiles at us, clearly unaware of the tension in the room, while Avery and I try to avoid eye contact. Callum walks over and hugs Avery, who stiffly responds. Huh...so she's not into Callum after all. "So, this is Avery...clearly you two have met, but you-" She points at me accusingly. Has Avery told her? "You, do not know my good friend here" She points back to Avery who twists her finger in her hair, a tight ringlet forming. I look over at Avery, trying to communicate with my eyes, but she's totally ignoring me. Okay, I'm just going to play along and pretend to have only met her now. We don't need to get into details.