Chapter 16

Jazz and I were in our school gym waiting for the annual Thanksgiving Basket Program to start. All the teams from the area schools participated, including our basketball team. We were just about to get started when Jazz whispered, "Don't look, but Luke's at three o'clock headed this way." She took a couple of baskets to fill and disappeared into the crowd.

Chicken.

I couldn't look at Luke, didn't want to see the hurt and anger on his face. How had I forgotten that he'd be helping? His whole football team probably was. We'd just have to steer clear of each other.

I bent down to pick up my own baskets when a familiar pair of Nike's stopped in front of me. Luke's hands were jammed in his pockets, and he looked so huggable in his grey thermal Henley. It was his shrug and grin that warmed my heart.

"All right, kids," Mrs. Tanner called out across the gym. "Listen up." She was our hip sixty-something Food Drive Coordinator. I loved her short fiery-red hair and her slim self in her trendy jeans. "Put one of everything in each basket and bring them to the south door for pick up." She circled her hand in the air. "Let's rock and roll!"

"Bay," Luke said as he took another step toward me. "Wow, you look good."

My heart pounded. "Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about you." But I was cautious. I'd just started getting used to not seeing him all the time, just started putting my life back together without him. Did I really want to open myself back up?

He took my hands in his. "I miss you."

My resolve began to melt. I just wanted to snuggle up in his arms.

Except nothing had changed.

I still couldn't tell him about Kai, and he still wasn't going to like that. But we kept inching closer to each other. He wrapped his arm around my waist, my arms slid around his neck. They couldn't resist.

"What're you doing after this?" His lips brushed my forehead.

"Don't know."

"Can I steal you?"

I sighed. "Do you trust me?"

"We need to talk."

"Yeah."

Mrs. Tanner cleared her throat behind us. Luke instantly released me and gave her his charming grin. "Hi, Mrs. Tanner. I'm here to help."

"Good." She poked him in the chest. "We can use all the help we can get. But keep your hands to yourself."

"Yes, Ma'am."

"And right now we need your muscles out back." Mrs. Tanner pushed Luke toward the back exit. "Someone just drove up with a truckload of turkeys. Get out there and help."

Luke gave me a sultry grin as he headed for the door, but my heart slipped a little lower in my chest. He didn't say he trusted me. He only said he missed me. I made my way around the gym, filled two baskets and walked them to the door-