Chapter One

My friend was kidnapped. And no one has seen him since. I remember the last time I saw him. We were 7. In first grade.

“Hey Carol. I'm having a birthday party this weekend, for my 8th birthday. And since you're one of my closest friends, I wanted to invite you. So here's the invitation card.”

“Thanks Timmy. I'll ask my mom. She'll probably say yes. I hope to be there!”

“Haha, great.”

*RIIIIIINNGG* the bell rang for home. I always took the bus, and Timmy walked home, since he lived a block away from our school. Laketown Elementary. I waved through the window at him, and he returned it.

He never showed up at school the next day. Or the next day. Or the next. It was already Thursday. After school, and getting home, I had asked my mom if she would take me to his house, and see him. And ask why he didn't show up at school. I wanted to tell him that I was sorry for not gonna be able to be at his party. Even if I was the only one left to ask since nobody could go.

*Knock Knock Knock* Mrs. Adams opened the door. Pale, and looking depressed.

“Hello Carol, Mrs. Gold.” she said.

“Hi Mrs. Adams. I was wondering if I could Talk to Timmy?. Ask him something?” I asked.

“You didn't hear, did you?” She told me.

“Hear...w-what?” I asked, My heart felt like it was sinking.

“Timmy was kidnapped on the way home from school on Monday. The police haven't found him. They believe he...might be..oh I can't do this! I'm sorry Carol. Good-bye I have to go.” She started crying.

*sniffle* I wiped away a tear that had leaked out my eye. Why? How could somebody have taken my best friend? It was so unfair!

I remember crying once I got home and ran to my room. I slammed the door behind me, and jumped onto my bed hiding under the covers. My best friend was gone. Forever. I didn't eat for 3 days. I had skipped meals to hide in my room. I would always look at my pictures of Timmy and I on our birthday parties, and playdates. Oh my gosh. He's gone, and Monday is when I called telling him I couldn't make it to his party. Nobody was able to show up. And this was the first time I couldn't go. He's gone, probably scared, alone, thinking about my last words I said to him. (I can't be there at your party Timmy) when no one else could either.