Prologue

Eliza,

  Goodbye, my darling. I'm leaving, and I'm not coming back. I know you're upset, but what happened in these last few days is something I'm not strong enough to bare. I do hope that this doesn't change us and what we have, even though I know that it will. I'm trying to have hope for you, hope that you won't be so upset that you take the path that I once walked.
   I trust that you will make good decisions in your life, and that you'll take good care yourself. You've always been good at taking care of yourself and I. I hope that you remember all that I have said to you, and that you heed my advice; don't trust anyone, always turn around, and never let what was happened in the past decide your future. You are a strong woman, Eliza. Much stronger than I ever was and I hope and I trust that this will not break you.
    You have so much to offer to this world, my darling Eliza. Please remember that, as I know how you think in times like these. Do note that I am not running from you, nor am I doing this out of hatred. I do love you very much Eliza. You are my little Eliza, my beautiful, strong, intelligent Eliza.
   Do tell Adrian I said hello and I hope he treats you right in my absence. Say hello to Dylan as well, I fear I shall miss him as much as I will you. I'm terribly sorry to up and leave like this, but it is what's best. Don't cry too much, Eliza, I'd hate to see your bright eyes become dull over me.
    I honestly doubt that you'll even cry though, seeing how I wasn't that much of an impact on you, although you insist that I was. You'd probably hit me because of that comment. Good thing I'm not there beside you.
   Listen to me carry on like this, talking as if I'm all you ever had in life. I'm sorry, Eliza. You probably couldn't care less about where I've gone to. Unless, for some reason, you do. I'll tell you what, if you do care about me, then, I'll send you letters every month with clue hidden in each letter. If you can place together all the clues and find me, then I'll never leave you. However, if you don't, and I've sent all the clues out for you to piece together, then I'll never speak to you again.
   Of course these clues won't be easy to figure out, but you're smart and you know how I think. I'll let you decipher them yourself, if you can find them. How fun will this be, Eliza? Like a game of hide-and-seek only the hider is hidden anywhere in the world. I do hope you enjoy this game of ours, Eliza. I'd be terribly sad if you didn't.

Yours truly,
  Alexander Langton