#6 Don't depend on Debt

One of leading causes for divorce, suicide and depression is Debt.  When your completely maxed out and your Debt to Income ratio is 99 to 1 your subjected to extreme stress, anxiety and health problems.  You feel guilt and shame all the time and see no relief in sight.  I was taught by my grandfather who was the most frugal man I knew,  If I wanted to buy something no matter the price, as long as I had the cash or could right a check for it I could afford it, If I had to charge it on a credit card then I couldn't afford it therefore I didn't need it.  After 37 years as an engineer for Burlington Northern Railroad he probably didn't need to send grandma to the grocery store with a wallet full of coupons but that's why he was able to die debt free.  If you want to avoid the drain that debt will cause you than remember grandpa's rule.  If you don't have enough cash in your pocket or in the bank than you don't need.  It also pushes you to work harder so you can buy the things you not only need, but you want as well.  Protect you credit rating like your social security number so it remains blemish free and when your ready to present your self to the lender to purchase your first home or car you have nothing to fear.  It's all up to you now so choose prosperity over plastic and Dreams over Debt.