Chapter 1

I can't do anything right. I keep trying and trying but everything just all goes wrong. I feel so dumb. All my friends are so smart and I just seem to always screw up. I feel like I'm holding them back and I don't know how to deal with it. If only I was good at something. Anything!

"Avery!" Someone screamed at me.

I blinked a couple times and looked up to see the teacher glaring right at me.

"How about you tell the class the answer to this equation."

"Well um it's two. Ya most times its two right?" Everyone broke out into laughter. What'd I say?

"Ms Whillingburg. The answer is 4. Maybe if you would actually pay attention you would get the right answer for once."

Why does she always pick on me? It's not my fault I can't do math. At that moment the bell rang and everyone rushed out.

I attempted to barge through the crowd to get to my locker. Once I got there, I opened my lock to the combo '22-56-13'. I'm in grade 11 so this year I get my own locker. I grabbed my lunch and walked to the cafeteria. I looked across the room and saw my best friends waving at me and gesturing me to come sit at our usual table.

"Hey guys!" I greeted them.

"Hey Avery! Did you see they out the marks up online for midterms!" Ava exclaimed.

I went on my phone to check. I went on the site and saw that all my marks are 60s.

"What did you get?" Amber asked politely.

"Ya I'm just dying to know" Maya asked with absolutely no emotion.

"Oh you know me. I can't do anything right. I got 60s." I said sounding sad.

"I'm not sure how you keep doing so badly, it's not that hard" Maya told me harshly.

Amber gasped. "Maya! Don't say that" she scolded her.

"What? It's not my fault she is bad at everything" she shot back.

Before Amber could speak again I cut in. "Enough! It's fine. She's absolutely right. I can't do anything right" I told them before walking away.

I decided that I am done with this day. I walked out of the school and to my favourite spot in this wretched town. I went to this peaceful park that I have gone to ever since I was a little kid.

"When is this going to get better?" I asked myself.

Then I heard the voice in my head say "It's not. In fact, it's about to get a whole lot worse" it told me.

How could it get any worse than this?