Chapter 2

All I could think about last night is what it said. What does it mean by that? I've had these voices in my head all my life now and they have never been wrong about anything. So how is it that something worse could happen?

I went downstairs to eat breakfast. I got to the cupboard grabbed some frosted flakes, milk and a bowl. I opened the box and poured it into the bowl. Once I finished with that I put it away and poured in the milk. Afterwards I put it back in the fridge, grabbed a spoon, put in the spoon and went to sit at the table.

My mom walked in and when she saw me I saw a flash of guilt in her eyes.

"Good morning honey. Listen, your father and I have something very serious to talk about when you get home. So please come straight home" she told me seriously.

"Mom, what's this about?"

"Not now Avery. Besides aren't you going to be late for school?"

Oh shoot! She right! I grab my backpack and head to the door. I put my bag down, slipped on my shoes and yelled "Later Mom". Right before I went out the door I could hear a faint "Have a good day".

As the day passed I heard the voices constantly mocking me.

"It will be your time soon".

"What you don't know will hurt you"

I'm not sure if it's that I'm stupid or not but, none of this makes any sense to me.

As the day ended, I walked home. The entire day I didn't speak to my friends. They just don't get it! I have trouble with this type of stuff. I mean I'm street smart. That good enough?

Once I got home I put my bag down and took my shoes off. My parents walked up to me and gestured for me to come to the living room.

"You should sit" Mom told me.

"What's this about?" I asked.

"I don't know how to say this" Father responded.

"Just spit it out"

They exchanged glances then in unison they said "You're adopted".

It felt like time just froze. Adopted? No it can't be. Please tell me it isn't true. No! They never lie, I'm sure of it now. I am adopted.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked quietly.

"It was for the best. You don't know who your father is. He is a beast. We couldn't let him have you" Dad said.

"So to protect me you lied?!" I screamed at them.

"Listen Avery-"

"No! I'm done listening to your lies!!"

With that I stormed out and ran out the door with tears streaming down my face. How could they? I trusted them. The only people I could rely on have deceived me. Now I have no one.