5. Liyah Fair Time

When we were making our way to Stefan's car I pulled Damon aside. "

Hey. What's up?" He chirped. 

"Um, You know how you keep saying you want them to know me like you do?" I asked looking at the ground. 

"Yeah?" 

"Well, you're talking like you really really know me." 

"You're acting like you don't remember what happened last night." With that, he winked and walked to the car.

Last night!? What the hell happened last night?

***********

I froze for a second before I started running after Damon. 

"Damon. What are you talking about?!" I shouted as I reached the car and got in sitting beside him. 

"Do you really want me talking about our special time with our friends around?" He said with a smirk. Bonnie who was sitting to the left of Damon snapped her head in my direction as did Caroline and Stefan. 

"Guys I-" 

"Come on brother what's taking so long." Have no idea what he's talking about. Damon cut off my explanation. Stefan started the car and we were off with an awkward tension filling the car. I was fearful that my stay with them would be filled with these constant awkward silences.

***

After Damon's little remark about 'last night,' the drive to the fair was spent in utter silence. Not a word was spoken. I spent it staring out the window while Damon smirked away. Bonnie had fallen asleep, her head resting in her hand against the window. Caroline and Stefan were just quiet in the front. I don't know what it was but with them, in the same room, it was almost impossible to ignore how much tension there was between them. I mean, the kind of tension you could cut with a knife. A thousand knives.

By the time we got to the fair, it had gotten dark. Well, dark if you completely ignored the bright flashing lights of the county fair. "Well, we're here." Stefan sighed breaking the long-standing silence that had been lingering in the car. We got out of the car as Damon woke Bonnie up. When I looked at the fair all I really could say was,

 When I looked at the fair all I really could say was,

"Wow." 

"Wait till you see what happens on founders day," Bonnie said as she got out of the car pushing Damon away. I giggled. He was trying to carry her. "Just don't." She said to him aggressively. And for the first time I really saw Damon look completely defeated. When he noticed me staring his expression quickly changed from one that was miserable, to one that was more cheery.

"Let Liyah Fair Time begin," Damon said as he rubbed his hands together in excitement. "Where should we start?" he asked looking around, excitement evident in his eyes. 

"I was thinking we cou-." before Stefan cou- finish. See what I did there. Cou-, cou-. Anyway. Damon cut him off. 

"Great brother. We'll split up, I'll take Bon Bon and Carebear. You and Lee go have fun." 

"Damo-" This time I cut Stefan off. 

"Hey, Dee. What did I say about nicknames," I glared at him. "Let's go Stef."
"Funny," Stefan said as I dragged him away, Not in any particular direction. Just away from Damon. As far as I could get. I was focused on enjoying myself and forgetting whatever 'last night' drama Damon was trying to start up. God, maybe Stefan and Bonnie were right about him. But I didn't want to think about that, it was time for me to get to know Stefan better and I was excited to see what this Salvatore brother was about.