5-Luminous Light

Chapter 5

Luminous Light

In the past...

The little boy was alone. Again. The maid had fallen asleep on the luxury couch in front of the television and Damien had not been tucked in bed yet.

Damien was beginning to feel really sleepy and wanted to be in bed. He decided to leave and make his own way to his room.

Damien left the magnificent living room, clutching his stuffed bunny in his hands. He entered the dark long hallway on the second floor.

High windows let in the only light from the garden lamps outside shine through. He wanted to go back to his room and fall asleep on his warm comfy bed.

Damien decided to venture out by himself, rather than wake up the maid, she was useless anyways.

Even though he was young, Damien knew his way round his house very well, despite it being a huge mansion. He had gotten used to exploring alone, only having his bunny as a friend.

He was shuffling on the soft, plush, crimson carpet; when suddenly it turned pitch black. Damien froze. There was no more light from the garden lamps. Damien remembered that they were on an automatic setting where they would switch off at a certain time of the night.

He was scared stiff. He wanted to run back to the maid, or run to his room. But he couldn’t because he could barely see where he was going. Damien had always had a fear of the dark. He would feel lost and afraid that something would grab him and the monsters would get him.

It was times like this he wanted to scream for his parents. But he knew they wouldn’t come. Because they were never around. They were always on business trips or weekly events.

Damien only saw for short periods of time and even then they would either have their mobile phone on them or a laptop. Damien’s parents would never give him their full attention. Their work was more important than their child.

Damien, being only six, had learnt the hard way. That he would have to grow up alone, without parents and without any friends. The darkness reminded him that he was always going to be alone and lost and would never really feel love.

A single, silent, tear fell from Damien's watery eyes.

Then something happened. Something unexpected and simply astounding.

Damien opened his eyes and saw something whiz past him. It looked like a golden thread, glowing in the dark. Then he saw more and more shooting past him and soon surrounding him.

The strands of gold, yellow and white meshed together and cocooned him in a circle closing off any darkness and bathed him in the light.

He should’ve felt scared at what he was witnessing, but Damien had never felt safer.

The cocoon opened up slightly, revealing a ball of light that was floating outside it.

Damien unconsciously took a step towards the light ball and reached out to touch it. It felt soft and feathery but also like he was putting his had in gold liquid. He retracted his hand expecting to find it wet but it was completely dry.

Then the ball began to change shape and formed a sort of figure. Damien couldn’t tell if it was a man or women but it had the outline of a human. The glowing light figure took out its hand in a graceful movement, wanting Damien to hold it.

The figure had no distinctive features but Damien could see a warm smile on its lips.

Damien also smiled and reached for the hand. It felt human, soft and comforting.

The figure began to elegantly float away and Damien followed not letting go. The cocoon still surrounded him, so the darkness could no longer touch him.

The light had led Damien to his room and Damien felt tired immediately. He climbed into his comfy, plush bed and the figure pulled the blankets over him and tucked him in.

Damien lazily closed his eyes but before he went into a deep slumber he peeked at the light around him.

The strands were around his bed still keeping away the dark. They were floating like feathers above his head and he could hear them making a soft tune, like wind chimes or soft bells.

He then looked at the light figure, which was by the bed. Then Damien heard something. The voice was of a woman who had a calming, soothing tone.

“Sleep now Damien. The light will stay by you now. You will never have to be alone again, for you will always have light on your side.”

Damien closed his eyes and his last thought was,

‘I’m not going to be alone anymore, the light is my friend.'

~~~***~~~***~~~***~~~

Hello people who are reading this. I know its been an age since I've updated this and I'm really sorry

Just like to say that the story will begin to pick up after one more chapter, I hope ^___^

See you next time!