2.// replica

be safe, you'd say
and little do you know
i used to risk my life
in the form of falling
into sharp edges,

the cold ground,

love.

I walked out of my room. My new school uniform dug into my neck. Were all city schools like this? The pristine apartment glistened in the morning light. My Aunty stood in the kitchen preparing a breakfast. Her hair and makeup already done for work. She dressed neatly, everything ironed, not a crease to show. She fitted in perfectly with the surroundings.

Pristine
Glistening

"The uniform looks amazing on you" she beamed. It was a baby blue button up shirt that came with a tie and navy blue pants.
"Thanks" I muttered. If I was shy in front of my aunt then how was I supposed to get through today?
"Your mother would have loved it" she whispered looking down. A string pulled at my heart. I'm so emotional, it happened ages ago. I cleared my throat of the lump.
"Maybe we should get going" I briefly smiled.
"Oh yeah sure" she smiled back.

Modern. The school was. It had tall beige buildings with balconies and rectangular windows. Replicas of the city high rises. The administration was at the bottom of one of the buildings. The lady told me to wait in a chair round the side of the sleek office desk.

RunRunRunRunRun

I tried to hide between my blonde hair. I didn't want anyone noticing me. But I couldn't help feeling watched.

A girl.
A pretty girl.
Soulful eyes.
Pink cheeks.
Brown hair.

Stay away Stay away

She wore the same blue shirt, but with a dark navy blue skirt hitched up beyond her knees. Pinned upon her blue shirt was a small badge with the school logo and words too small for me to read. My view was blocked by a tall muscular man holding a timetable.
"You're Alex" he asked. I nodded.
"You sure you're meant to be in high school kiddo?" He chuckled with a sense of seriousness in his voice. I meekly smiled back as we walked out the administration doors. I carefully looked back
To be greeted
With her
Stare.

for safety is an illusion