Chapter 13

*Harry’s POV*

The whole room is left in shock. We don’t know what to make of what just happened in front of our eyes. Paul left the room crying and Denise was the reason for it. She didn’t even consider breaking it to him softly. She was heartless and she was broken. Her whole being is broken. She left me flustered and I find myself being more angry at her than I was the last time we had a fight. I don’t get into fights with people I rarely know but with Denise, she made it a mission to get under my skin. Kendall wasn’t just some girl to “bend over and fuck.” I actually like her and she likes me so naturally, I would ask her out.

“Uhm, that was a bit too much.” Niall suddenly speaks up.

“Yeah. I had no idea that was, well… you know, possible to even happen to a family. Stuff like that seems like something people would put into a movie.” Zayn added in.

“I feel sorry for the poor girl.” Liam says. I practically choked on air when he said that.

“What did you say, Liam?” I ask him with nothing but pure shock and disgust in my tone.

“I said that I felt sorry for the poor girl. You know, the poor girl that had to go through all of that at such a young age. The one that was just here minutes ago screaming. You know, Denise.” Liam snaps back. I can tell he didn’t like the tone in my voice but I couldn’t help it. If anything, it should be Paul I feel sorry for.

“Weren’t you the one who told me to stay away from her in the first place, Mister Hypocrite?”

“Yeah but that was before all of this happened, Harry. It explains a lot.”

“No, it doesn’t! She’s heartless!”

“Enough of that you two!” Gill yells at us. Liam and I quickly shut up and listened to Gill. “Liam is right. None of you know that much about Denise and she can be a bad influence but that’s only because of what she went through. She trusts nobody. As with you Harry, being bad and being heartless are completely different things.”

“Why are you defending her?” The whole world seems to be defending this broken girl who is nothing but bitter and mean to everybody around her.

“I’m not defending her, Harry. I’m just saying. If Paul told you what happened, which I’m guessing he did, you would have known that he disappeared when things started getting bad in the family. Denise was left alone with her parents who were far from getting along with each other. She saw her mum having sex with another man, she saw her own father hit the woman, she saw her own father die in front of her eyes, and to add on to that list, Denise’s mother dumped her in America. She went through all of that at such a young age. How would you feel if you were in her shoes, Harry? Paul might have been lied to by his own mum but Denise got the bite a lot harder than Paul did.” Gill says. A wave of guilt hits me and I can’t even figure out how I feel.

Denise makes me feel all these emotions at once and it’s starting to give me whiplash. One minute I feel so interested by her, then annoyed, then happy, then calm, then scared, then pity, and last but not least, she gets under my skin. I felt so bad when I actually looked at Denise and all I saw was a broken girl. I tried to comfort her but she lashed out on me and brought Kendall into it. It hurt at first before I realized that I despised her for being so irritating. Yet here I am now feeling bad for judging her and forgetting about what she went through. So many things make sense now. Why she is the way she is, why she acts like that, and why she pushes everyone out.

“Her mum dumped her in America?” Louis asks.

“Yeah. A little bit after her dad’s funeral, I think.” Gill answers.