The girl on the Train tracks

I woke up and immediately began preparing to leave. I changed, putting my nightwear into my suitcase and continued to pack my last minute items. I went downstairs for breakfast, this time, the family I had befriended were not there. They probably had not come downstairs yet. After finishing my meal, I returned upstairs to collect my belongings.

I carried my bags down the stairs of the B&B, and handed the receptionist, Maria, the keys to my room.

"Thank you for your hospitality. I'm so sorry about the loss of your daughter."

"Thank you. Are you sure you won't stay for another night? You're free to do so, no charge!"

"No, thank you."

"Well, you're welcome to return here whenever you like." She smiled and I thanked her again, before leaving and placing my bags into my taxi. I had so many, I couldn't possibly carry them, even if it was only a mile or two away.

* * * * * * * *

I got out of the taxi and took a look at my new home. It was a cottage, with two floors and a big garden behind it, which could be seen as there was no fence or wall at the right hand side of the house. On the left, was the train tracks, and a little shack on the side, containing all the controls. The house itself was grey, and average sized. It looked like it was supposed to be a family home, but none had really settled in, and I didn't get the feeling that I would, either. I took a step forward and walked into the house.

It was eerily empty, but then, what else was I to expect? But still, it shocked me. It looked like it hadn't been lived in for years, but I knew that the previous owner lived here only a month or two ago. The walls were bare, and the few pieces of furniture were covered in sheets. There was dust surrounding many areas and the entire house had been completely stripped. There weren't even any curtains. I went upstairs to put my things away, and found a small bedroom. It would suit me perfectly. I noisily dragged my bags and belongings up to the room and begin to unpack, attempting to make the place seem a bit more homely, but it doesn't work. My personal items, my family photos and bed sheets just appear awkward amongst the emptiness of this house I am supposed to call home.

Maybe my brother had a point when he said not to stay here. I don't quite know what it was, but whatever his reasons, it was a good enough excuse for me to move out of the village as soon as I could.

I sat on the bed and slowly drifted off to sleep. I felt so alone here. I knew no-one from the village, all my family were miles away from me, and I barely knew where the shops were around here. My home was not a home, just a house, of which I legally owned and went to sleep in at night. I felt almost haunted by that girl in the photograph and everyone here was so stand-offish and awkward around myself and others. I couldn't contact my family, unless I travelled to the post office to send letters or a telegram. That wasn't the same as a warm hug from my brother or an embarrassing kiss from my mother.

When I woke up, it was beginning to get dark, and I checked my pocket watch. It was already six in the evening. I had slept for a good six or seven hours.

I didn't want to stay in this house all day so I decided to go back to the B&B for dinner. I knew people there and the location, so I was comfortable in those surroundings.

I walked to the B&B and was immediately bombarded by Maria and John.

"Your back! So glad you saw sense" Maria said, a smile lighting up her face as she saw me entering the building, John sighing with relief, as if he expected me to be injured or worse. I was confused. So were they when they

saw that I was not carrying any bags.

"I'm not staying. I came to eat as I am not too familiar with the area yet." They looked understanding, yet the fear that I was going back home had clearly hit them. They never really told me why my new house was supposed to be so bad.

"Ok then. Go and take a seat and we'll get you sorted out." I followed Maria, watching her ginger bun bounce up and down as she walked me to my table. I looked around to see the family, whom have become my only companions during this trip, sitting right behind me. I again small talked and they asked me about my new home "it's quite precarious" I replied. They told me they were going to the library the next day and would research the home if they could, as to find my 'claim to fame' so to speak. I thanked them and decided to get back before it got dark.

I finished my meal and payed, and yet again, Martha was reluctant to let me leave.

"We have an open room, you can stay if you'd like!"

"No it's fine, all my things are back home anyway" She became desperate and started to think up as many reasons as she could to keep me there.

"Well, I'll get john to bring some of your things over, we won't charge you"

"No, I don't want to cause you too much hassle"

"It's no problem!"

"Maybe... Another time" I had to speak louder to just get my point across. I left before she persuaded me otherwise.

By the time I was home, it was dark.