-1-

"That's gonna be $52.34 ma'am."

"That is outrageous." She pulled her studded sunglasses halfway down her nose and looked me up and down.

"What are you doing working in an establishment such as this." She said that like she was a snake, prolonging every word as if to make me feel worse about myself. It worked.

I am just a ragtag mexican girl from a poor family. I have my long brown hair in a braid and can't really afford good makeup like all the other women working here. I look like crap.

"Obviously selling fancy food to wenches like you."

"I want the manager." She basically screamed at me.

I rolled my eyes and walked to the back to get Mr. Romero. 

"A hag up front wants to talk to you."

"My God Raven, just go ahead and head home. You're off the hook for now since you're working overtime."

I smiled and proceed to walk away before he can take that back.

                          ×××                                      
I walked into my small apartment where I was greeted by Croissant, my English Mastiff. I found her outside a French Cafe called Cafe Amour (great story by grungeamethyst) so it seemed appropriate. 

"Hey girly! Get down."

She jumped on me and proceeded to bathe me with her tongue. I pushed her away and grabbed her food bowl. I know it isn't healthy but I share my food with her.

I give her some leftover takeout and dog food and I eat some food from where I work. I look at the logo for Je T'aime and crave a love life. Je T'aime means 'I Love You' in French.

I sit down and eat my soup and toast when Croissant comes and puts her head on my lap. She whines and begs for food.

"Go eat your quesadilla and dog food."

She continues to stare me down. I give in and hand her a piece of toast.

I hear a knock on the door and Croissant growls lightly. I shush her and grab a bat. Its too late for any sane person to knock.

I open it and my friend Lesli rushes into my home.

"Raven?! You're in Veterinary School right?!"

I nod.

"I found a hurt kitten come on!"

I run out the door with a heating pad and my purse.

                            ×××

"WHERE IS IT?!"

"Calm down, he's right here."

I run over and place it on the heating pad. He is very cold and has a dry nose, which is a bad sign.

"He has an eye infection but I can get eye drops from my teacher tomorrow."

"Thank you." A strange Australian voice comes from the unacknowledged man on the couch. I looked up startled at the VERY attractive man on Lesli's couch.

He has a chiseled face and blue eyes. They are crystal clear. He is tall and thin but still muscular. He has auburn hair and its short and wavy. I close my mouth after realizing I'm gaping.

"I am going to adopt this little guy." The mystery man says.

"That's great. He needs a home." I say avoiding eye contact.

"Oh! Raven, this is Aaron. Aaron, Raven. Raven, he just moved in, I think he is 4 rooms down from you, he's my internet friend." Lesli explained quickly and awkwardly.

"Well I have to be going, see ya tomorrow Lesli. Nice to meet you Raven, see you around." He waved and exited.

"Yeah me too Lesli. I can take the kitten and watch him. Croissant can stay in the living room as not to scare him." She nodded and I smiled and walked out.

Hi everybody! My name is Kate, this is my first story but not my first time writing. I hope y'all enjoy this story as I want to carry it on for a long while. Thanks! And you won't see these authors notes very often.