Chapter 5

Once everyone was finished eating, Michael gathered the group and they started their walk to the Korean Memorial. Josie felt fine when they first left, but as they walked she began to feel lightheaded and dizzy. She tried to keep pace with the group, but she slowly fell to the back of the mass of students.

    Michael looked back to find her, and he thought she might have been bringing up the back on purpose, to put a little bit of distance between them.

    It was quite a nice day out, it was sunny, but every so often, the sun would duck behind a cloud and a small breeze would pick up.  Josie, still feeling lightheaded, began to feel cold, she wasn't really sure where she was, but she knew that Michael was nearby, so she felt safer. She remembered the night before, she felt his warmth, she felt his hands in her hair, and she could hear his heartbeat, as if she were sleeping against his chest again.

    She closed her eyes for only a moment, and she started to fall backwards. Michael saw her start to fall and rushes back to keep her on her feet. He walked her to a bench and kneeled down next to her. Josie opened her eyes and saw Michael looking at her, his face etched with worry. He sighed and layed his head in her lap. Her skin was warm and she slowly started to feel better

    "I told everyone to go ahead, we'd catch up with them later," Michael said, reaching up and resting his hand on her cheek.

    Josie turned her head and kissed his hand. He smiled at her and sighed in relief.

    "I was really worried about you," Michael said, standing up and sitting with her.

    Josie smiled and rested her hand on his knee. "They never gave me the chance to eat," she said softly. "I just got a little lightheaded, that's all."

    "C'mon," Michael said, standing and helping Josie up. "There's a Starbucks not too far from here."

    They walked maybe a block or two from where they were and Michael opened the door and held it for Josie. She nodded at him and walked inside. The aroma of coffee and tea hit her and she smiled, closing her eyes as she enjoyed the smell.

    Michael walked up to the counter and ordered two caramel lattes, one for himself and one for Josie. He paid and they sat down at a small table next to the window to wait for their drinks. When the barista called Michael's name he stood, grabbed the cups, and handed one to Josie. She happily accepted the beverage and began to drink it greedily. She was on such a sugar low, and to top it off, she loved coffee.

    They walked out of the shop with their lattes and walked down the street. A woman passed them and Michael smiled and nodded at her.

    "I used to work with her in the haulocaust museum," he said, looking at Josie.

    She looked up at him and nodded, her straw still in her mouth. Michael laughed and smiled at Josie. He turned and led her down another street, making their way back to the hotel.

    They never touched, with the few exceptions when Michael let his hand brush Josie's leg. Everytime he did this, Josie felt a sort of shock. Her legs were very sensitive let alone, not to mention that she had just shaven them the night before. Every touch she felt was more intense than usual. She looked at him and blushed each time.

    When they returned to the hotel, Josie and Michael returned to their rooms to get ready for their evening plans with the class. Some of the seniors had found out about a karaoke bar nearby and had convinced Michael to let them go.

    Josie filed through the dresses that she had brought, and when she came across a royal blue Calvin Klein that she "borrowed" from her mother, she smiled. She pulled it off of the hanger and slipped into it. Again, smiling at her reflection in the mirror.

    The dress had a high neck and fell just above Josie's knees. It was form fitting, enough to show off Josie's womanly figure, but not so much that it made her appear lumpy. She looked beautiful.

    Michael sat in his room, looking at what he had picked out for the night.

    He had pulled out a pair of black dress pants and a purple button up shirt, along with a black tie.

    As he tightened his belt around his waist, he heard a knock at his door. He pulled his tie under the collar of his shirt and opened the door to let Josie in. When she stepped in the door, Michael stopped fussing over his tie and starred at her.

    Josie tilted her head to the side slightly and lifted an eyebrow.

"What," she asked.

    Michael shook himself out of his trance and smiled. "Don't play

dumb," he said smiling. "You look gorgeous."

    Josie blushed lightly and smiled. "You don't look too bad yourself," she said with a wink.

    Michael smiled and started to fumble with his tie again. Josie laughed softly and walked over to him. She grabbed the ends from him and tied it swiftly. Michael smiled at her and she kissed his cheek softly. Since she had slipped her feet into a pair of black heels, she was a little bit taller than Michael, so she had to sort of bend her neck a little bit to kiss him.

    When they were finished getting ready, they walked down to the lobby and met the rest of the group. The karaoke bar wasn't far from their hotel, so they walked there. When they arrived, the group picked a few tables to sit at and Michael took the seat next to Josie.

    A few classmates had pestered Josie the whole night about her getting up and singing, and finally, to get them to leave her alone, she gave in and signed up to sing Time After Time, by Cindy Lauper.

    Josie sat back down and waited nervously for them to call her name. She bit her lip and her leg shook under the table. Michael looked at her and could see her nerves. He let his hand rest on her knee gently and she looked at him.

    He nodded and whispered, "You'll be great."

    When Josie heard his words of encouragement, she felt safer, and calmed down slowly.

    When they called her name, she took a deep breath and stood up. She walked up to the stage and took the microphone. The music started, and she tapped her foot to the tempo and counted in her head. She began to sing and suddenly the crowd disappeared, it was only Michael she saw sitting at the table. The bar was empty except for the two of them. She smiled at him, and she almost completely forgot that she was even singing, the words just came out, she was hardly thinking about it.

    When the song was over, the bar cheered and Josie smiled.

     When she got back to her table, Michael leaned over and whispered, "I told you that you'd be great." He pulled away from her and winked.

    That was all she needed, she didn't care that the whole bar cheered for her, approved of her. She only needed Michael's acceptance, that was all she wanted.

    Michael grabbed a napkin off of the table and pulled his pen out of his pocket. He scrawled something onto the thin paper, and layed it on Josie's leg. She picked the paper out of her lap and unfolded it.

    "I think the heat in my room is broken tonight. ;)" is what Josie read.