As You Wish, Milady

When people decide to reflect on their life, it is mostly done when they reach a turning point in their life. Maybe they manage to accomplish something they have dreamed of. Maybe they lost something they hold dear. Maybe they found out that something they hold as truth isn't actually true at all. However, people can also reflect when they simply do it. Like when they found themselves alone in the night. Or maybe, when they found themselves baked under the harsh sun of Vargas, riding in a small rickety cart, bringing supplies to the edge of civilization for a measly ten gold khirs.

That's exactly what Ain Salze is doing right now, as he sits in the driver's seat of a small desert cart, holding the reins of a rather haughty camel-horse who has been grunting ever since they left the last oasis.

The young magician reflects on how he basically got a life debt toward the man who is now napping so lazily on the cargo deck behind him. And how the man decided to basically force him into a voluntary servitude, taking advantage of his bewildered and traumatized nature a few days ago after being held by bloodthirsty bandits. And how he got relegated into a sidekick and man-servant for a wage that is under the regional minimum wage.

Ain feels his left eye twitches in irritation. He sighs as he remembered the very reason he set out from his secluded village in the desert is now postponed indefinitely, at least as long as he's still under the 'employment' of Omiro Jaller. To be fair, the man's not a bad employer to have. He tries to be as mindful and accommodating as he can, Ain could see that. But his greed, stinginess and bursts of anger has brought them a fair share of trouble, and Ain really wants to avoid more of them as possible.

As the single-cart caravan moves down the slope of a sand dune, Ain can hear a rickety 'crick' and 'crack' from the cart's wheels. Ain, a little bit concerned, decides to complain to his employer.

"Sir Jaller. More rickety noises have been heard, and I believe it's increasing." Ain calls to his employer at the back of the cart. The man, who is laying in the middle of the cart, surrounded by various supplies to be delivered, peeks out of his turban – which he uses as a sleep mask – and promptly answers, "Well, nothing's broken yet, right?"

"I have told you that buying such a rickety cart on sale is a bad idea." Ain finally says his complains to his employer. Jaller, finally rising up and putting his turban to its place, replies, "It's on sale. Why would you miss such golden chance?"

"Well, that golden chance could cost you this whole delivery if it gives out now, sir." Ain explains with a sarcastic tone. "There's no way Rutu could carry all of these supplies without the cart."

"Well, the cart hasn't gave out yet, right?" Jaller's head peeks out of the cargo deck to face his concerned assistant. "So it's all good."

Knowing he can't change Jaller's mind, Ain can only sighs. "Whatever you say, sir..." He turns away from his employer and gazes at the expanse of sand in front of them.

"Oh cheer up. We're already halfway to Fort Arma by now!" Jaller, moving out of the cargo deck, sits himself beside his grumbling assistant. "We made it there, toss all of these food and clothes to the people there, and we'll be drowning in gold." He excitedly reminds Ain of their delivery request. "And real gold now. I mean, there's no way the Sheik will reward us with cabbages, right?"

Ain can only smile – sarcastically, that is - at his employer's talk about cabbage. He has heard how his last delivery ends up with him trying to bring home three gigantic cabbages worth three hundred khirs. And how none of those cabbages survived the return trip. Which is why Jaller now has a bit of reservations against cabbages of all kinds, and also why he gets a bit more cautious in taking delivery requests.