A Fool's Errand

The settlement that would become known as Fort Arma was established a few years after the war ended fifty years ago. As the population in existing towns and cities increased sharply after the war, governments of various regions chose various oasis in their territory as the center of new settlements. This was the main reason of why various small villages and forts dots the Vargas desert, even in the remote places. Many of these settlements were later 'forgotten' by the central governments due to the remote location and lack of accessibility, forcing them to become a self-sustaining community in the middle of the desert. Some unlucky residents would have to move or become nomads when the oasis they depend on dried.

Fort Arma can be counted as one the luckiest amongst these young settlements. Even though it is located on the southern edge of Abunro – the region itself considered to be the southernmost region of 'civilised world' in the Vargas desert – and thus located on the edge of civilization, it is considered to be an important and strategic place for the Abunro government. That is why most of the settlement is located inside a military fortress, which is guarded by more than one hundred Abunro soldiers. As for the reason, it is because the government needs a strong outpost to monitor the Anima.

The Anima is a race of beastfolks who has shared a long history with the humans. Possessing bestial features and instinct coupled with human intellect, the Anima is feared by humans and magicians alike since the start of the wars hundred years ago. They live in tribes, scattered throughout the Vargas desert outside what is considered to be the 'civilised world', and has been known to repeatedly invade human settlements during the war, seemingly to expand their territory. With the end of the war and peace treaty between the human governments, however, the Anima was slowly pushed out of Vargas. Now, only a few tribes of Anima still lives in the southern end of the desert, trying to live peacefully without contact with humans. Of course, not all humans believed their intention, so Fort Arma is used as an outpost to monitor the Anima's movements.

Despite being basically a remote yet vital military institution, Jaller and Ain is quite surprised to find that Fort Arma is, in fact, not much different from Nayim. Bustling streets full of people, stalls lining up the market district, and even an eatery not much different from Halm's back at home. The only difference being how they could find soldiers and guards in every corner of the town. Not very surprising, as soldiers comprised about one-fourth of the population in Fort Arma.

After unloading the supplies from the cart and getting the delivery report from the officer in charge in the morning, Jaller decides to take a look in the market, searching for something unique from 'the edge of civilization' to sell back home. He leaves Ain in the stables to prepare the cart and Rutu for the return trip back to Nayim, and goes on his way to the market district.

To his disappointment, Jaller finds nothing of value in Fort Arma's market. Most of the goods sold are similar to the goods sold in the big cities – maybe of a worse quality, even. And logically for a settlement built as a military base first and foremost, they don't have any signature crafts or products to be sold.

In his disappointment, Jaller goes into an eatery to get some drink, and maybe get some food for lunch during the return trip. As he enters the small shop, the proprietor, a rather chubby woman in her forties, greets him.

"Ah, welcome m'dear! Can I get you something?" She asks the red-haired merchant.

"A drink, please. Anything would do." Jaller answers quickly. He finds a seat and plops himself on it.

"Hohoho! You seems to be tired, m'dear! I know the perfect drink for you." The proprietor excitedly prepares a cup, and in a few minutes, a clear-brown, warm liquid is served to Jaller in the cup. "Drink it, m'dear. It's our specialty."