Chapter Six

Ain't My Fault by Zara Larsson

It was Jacob. He'd his arms around a girl. They were making out right before me. Tears pricked my eyes. "Brooke?" Shawn's concern voice brought me out of my daze.

I blinked the tears away and faced him. He furrowed his eyebrows and cupped my face. "You okay?" What's wrong?" He asked. I mustered my remaining strength to put up my best smile. "I'm fine."

"Don't lie. Your eyes were watering." He stated and scanned around our surrounding as if finding the reason. I shook my head and purposely rubbed my eyes. "I caught dust in my eyes -" I lied. "Again."

He sent me an unconvinced look and hummed warily. I did what I was supposed to do at my locker and quickly headed to class. Avoiding the boys as I went. I was surprised I arrived quite early since the class was half filled.

I decided to pick a seat far from Jacob. "Brooke!" A feminine voice called out. I saw Janice waving at me and motioned an empty seat beside her, which happened to be by the wall.

I smiled warmly and took the seat. "Where's Demi?" I asked as I settled down. She pursed her lips and looked at me sadly. "She's having a fever after going to the pool yesterday evening." She said.

"Oh. Tell her I wished her to get well soon." I replied. She nodded and texted on her phone. I assumed she was texting Demi. Once she was done, she put her phone away and stared at me.

"What?" I asked dumbfoundedly. "Aren't you going to sit with the boys?" She asked, sounding utterly confused. Speaking of the devil, they entered. "No. I'm keeping you in company today." I lied and faked a grin.

She looked at me skeptically, but didn't blow my cover. The boys noticed me and sent me perplexed looks. I took out my phone and texted Cole.

Me: 'I'll be with her today.'

Ms. Wills came in on time and checked for absentees. My phone vibrated, indicating a new text message. It was Cole as I guessed.

Cole: 'Why? Is there anything wrong?'

Me: 'No. Her friend is absent and I want to keep her in company.'

Cole: 'Okay then.'

I managed to avoid every single one of the boys, especially Jacob. Like he care. Let me laugh out dryly. Ha-ha-ha. Bulletshit, I'd only knew him for two weeks and I felt awesomely down after the scene.

'Jacob's a player and a bad boy. Stay strong. Don't let a jerk break you.'

I chanted again and again until lunch rolled in. I started to panic because I would be sitting with the boys and that meant Jacob. Hell no.

"Brooke, do you want to sit with me?" Janice asked, interrupting my thoughts. I nodded eagerly and followed her. There were few tables around shady trees outside the cafeteria. Janice and I sat at the farthest table.

It'd a good view of the school building and the field. I found it peaceful too. "Wow." I breathed in. "This is a good place to hang out." Janice grinned and nodded. I pulled out my new homework and started doing it.

"Aren't you eating?" Janice asked as she bit into her ham baguette. I glanced up at her and shook my head. "I'm not hungry," I told her, which was true. The scene was still replaying in my head.

"Oh." She nodded and continued eating. It wasn't long until she whisper-yelled my name. "What?" I groaned. Her gaze was fixed on something behind me. It's someone to be exact. I whipped my head to see the person and it was something I regretted.

Jacob was towering me. His pale green orbs staring into my soul. "What do you want?" I asked in an irritated voice. His presence suddenly felt annoying for me and the scene was thrown out the window.

He shoved my things into my bag instead of answering me. "Jake!" Yet, he ignored. He held my bag with one hand and grabbed my wrist with another. He began to drag me to one direction. Behind the cafeteria.

"Jake, let go!" I scolded and squirmed from him. It did nothing, but tightening his grip on my wrist. I winced in his steel grip. As we were hidden from anyone, he let me go. I held wrist over my chest.

It felt so painfully that tears pricked my eyes. I examined it. There were marks on my wrist and it started to bruise. "What's your problem, dumbass?" I yelled.

"Why did you avoid me?" He asked in a calm manner. Calm my ass. He'd clenched his jaw, balled his fists, and narrowed his eyes.

"First of all, I didn't avoid you. Second, I was trying to make new friends. Third, don't you fu- dare drag me again." I said to him through gritted teeth. He scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"You don't have to lie, Brooke." He chuckled humorlessly. He's ticking my patience off. "You know what, Jacob." I snapped at him with his full name instead of the name his friends would use and snatched my bag from him. "Leave me alone."

Pain crossed his features as he stood there, fazed. I took the opportunity to slip away and ran back into the school building. The bell rang when I reached my next class. I was the fifth person in the class.

I began to worry. I forgot that Jacob and I had the same schedule. A hand landed on my shoulder. I jumped and spun around to smack the person. "Ow!" I dropped my arm to my side.

Cole was groaning in pain while rubbing his arm, where I smacked him. He lifted his sleeve. There was a glowing red hand mark on his skin. I gasped and put a hand over my gaping mouth.

"I'm so sorry, Cole." I apologized, ignoring people stares. Cole sent me an incredulous look and grabbed my injured wrist. Why oh why *sob*? I winced. "Shit!" Cole mumbled and removed his grip.

He held up my wrist and shot me a look. The 'what-the-freak-happened' look. "Come here." He pulled me to the back of the class by my arm. We sat at the left corner of the last row.

"Now, tell me what fu-." I pressed my index finger onto his lips. "No cussing, please." He rolled his eyes. "Whatever, mom." He replied sarcastically. "Tell me."

I pursed my lips and looked away. I couldn't tell him anything. Things can go wrong. It's one of the rules with bad boys, never tell them your secrets.

Cole sighed and draped an arm over my shoulders, causing me to lean closer to him. "I know what's in your mind, Brooke." He whispered. "Although, I think I can guess it."

My eyes widened. Questions running around in my head.

Did he saw me staring at the scene? Did he knew Jacob was the one who dragged me behind the cafeteria? Did he knew I lied about the whole 'hanging-out-with-Janice-because-Demi-was-absent'?

Did he-

A loud sigh from Cole startled me. "Nevermind. I'm sorry for being nosy. You don't have to explain anything. It's fine," he said as he handed my notes that I shared with him the previous day.

I'm sorry, Cole.

Uh oh. Brooke saw Jake kissing another girl. Aww, our pity princess :'(. Cole was almost close to finding out what Brooke hid from him too. Phew!

Looks like Brooke is pissed with Jake and don't forget about the party at Andy's ayy. What do you guys think? Will she go and get drunk hard to forget her first kiss or will she make Jake jealous?

Talking about Jake being jealous. I will try to figure out when to update Jake's POV. I mean, who knows Jake has feelings for Brooke, right? It's cliche but possible, though.

Do vote, comment, fan, and share. Thank you for reading <3!

Love,

Em