The Secret Princess

Vote

Comment

Follow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prologue –

I faced the other girl that stood before me in the ring. The ring in which we were expected to fight to the death in. I looked into the eyes of the girl that I was supposed to kill, her eyes screamed fear and helplessness. I had to make the ultimate choice; to kill her or not to kill her. We had become good friends throughout this whole ordeal. Now, as I faced her could I really kill my own friend in cold blood? The answer to that was no. I knew that if I didn't, then my life would be at risk and I would have to show who I really was and I wasn't ready for that. Not yet. I moved slowly around the arena, well aware that thousands of people were watching and screaming for one of us to make the first move and unleash the bloodshed. I never looked away from her emerald green eyes as I made my way slowly to small metal station of weapons in which we could choose from. I found some humour from the fact that we were expected to fight with medieval weapons even though we were in the 21st century, but was still glad we weren't using guns. I glanced to the royal box, to the person who was the reason this was happening. The prince. Girls from all over the kingdom were picked from a 'lucky' draw and were forced to come to palace and train to fight one another, all to win his hand. It made me sick, how could this happen and people not care? Most of the girls that came here all wanted to win as they thought the prince was 'handsome' and then they would live happily ever after. As for me? I certainly did not want to marry that moron. However, some of the girls that were picked didn't want to be part of this and yet they were taken from their lives against their will. It was those girls who didn't last long.

The girl in front of me had gotten lucky to make it this far but if I didn't kill her then some other girl would and no one would mourn her death, just those who loved and cared about her. I then glanced to the other royals in the box and they only looked vaguely interested. The queen was constantly glancing to the seat next to hers which was for the princess who had taken off. The whole kingdom had searched for her but she still was missing. I then noticed the queen shed a single tear before wiping it hastily away and turning back to the ring and plastered a false expression on her face. I felt her sadness and I wished that I could tell her that it would be okay. I was about to call out to her when our eyes met for just a moment. She seemed confused and squinted trying to get a better look at me but I was snapped back into reality by the guard barking orders for us to fight or surrender.

I made it into the weapon area after refocusing on the girl in front of me, I had watched her all the way to the weapons area. I wanted to tell her that it would all be okay but I couldn't lie to her and give her false hope. She knew as well as I did that only one of us would come out alive. Still feeling shaken from meeting the eyes of the queen, I knew that I had to concentrate. I gritted my teeth and told myself not to think about what was about to happen as I picked up the sword. I felt the weight of it for a moment getting used to my weapon before turning to face my opponent. I walked towards her slowly cautioning her with my eyes and felt sad that she had only picked up a shield and I was then glad it was me facing her and not one of the other girls. I stopped in front of her and fell into the defensive position that we had been taught in training and wished I could go back and never have come here but there was no going back. Not now. I had to finish what I had started.

"Give it your best shot, you won't hurt me." I whispered the last part so only she could hear me and gave her an encouraging smile. My opponent didn't look convinced; I gave her a small nod, hoping she would trust me.
"I have a plan." I muttered and I watched the shock and relief spread across her face before falling into a weak defensive position. She then lunged toward me which I dodged by ducking under the slow attack before spinning and kicking her to the ground. I could vaguely hear the crowd go wild but I couldn't concentrate on them, I had made up my mind. I stood over her with my sword held high ready for the kill. I made the mistake of looking into my friend's eyes and I felt her fear swell inside me and take over me. I could never kill anyone let alone a friend. The games had to stop and I was the only one who could do it. I turned and stabbed my sword to the ground next to my new friend and turned away from her to face the royals.
"I will not kill her" My voice rang loud and clear throughout the arena. The whole kingdom fell silent and waited for the royal's response. The king rose from his throne and looked annoyed and sad and motioned the guards to take me out. If someone refused any of the 'events', then they were immediately disqualified and would die. I scooped my sword from the ground and fell back into my defensive position as the guards started to approach me.
"These games will stop now!" I yelled. The king just laughed a cold laugh. No one ever spoke against the king and he thought I was just a peasant. Peasents could never change the law.
"You have no say in the tradition and laws of this kingdom." He roared. I shrugged before reaching back and pulling the brown wig from my head and let it fall to the ground revealing my long blond hair. I then took out the green contact lenses I was wearing to reveal piercing blue eyes and looked into the matching eyes that were my fathers.
"Are you sure?" I challenged. I watched the shock and horror take over the royals. I then turned to face the crowd and I heard them all gasp in shock as they recognized the person that I was.