Night Eleven ~ Fiction ~ Frosty The Snowman

Snow furled down. Everything ahead was white. It was hard to see past the closest light. The snow and night went hand in hand to make a sight both beautiful and frightening. But on this particular night, I was not petrified nor trembling. The air seemed to burst with joy. Young laughter filled the air, out of sight. Now this was not out of the norm. But the cheers of glee were higher than past nights. Rounding a corner I peered at the children. Light danced through the fence. "He's alive, he's alive," the cried with joy.

My brows furrowed in a pinch I snuck for a closer look. Ah but there was no man just the children and one snowman. Wait. What's that? He twitched as they shifted his silk top hat. Slowly his shadow grew as the snow moved towards the fire. Water dripped from his fingertips. A screech filled the air as he pulled his arm back. The children looked on in awe. "Frosty," one little girl whispered. "Can you speak," she so boldly ask. His mouth stretched wide as he tested his voice. A low note left his open mouth. "Hello children," his deep voice bellowed. 

Slowly he walked towards her. Grabbing her hand, he gripped it tight. Soon all the children twirled in circles. "Thumpity, thump, thump, thumpity, thump, thump," filled the air. "Look at Frosty go," they cheered.  "This is absurd," I muttered. But even I knew my what I was seeing is true. Frosty, the snowman was alive. As he twirled past the fire, I could see pain mixed in with joy. The fire was killing him. I can just see the children weeping as they watched their friend disappear into a puddle. Looking around, I followed the fence to its gate. My hand paused at the handle. I looked to them. Oh, their joy I wish I could let it last. Drawing back, I knocked on the door. The thumping stopped and the air grew still till I heard a whisper saying, "I'll go." 

"Hello?" I looked down to see a girl merely the age of seven. Bending low, I said, "I'm here to see Frosty."  She eyed me suspiciously but nodded. Little kids always so trusting. Not one questioning how I knew of Frosty Kids ranging from five to eight filled the yard, amidst them all stood the snowman. "Frosty," the little girl piped up, "She's here to see you." He looked at me knowingly. After a moment we stood together alone. 

"I know you're dying," I whispered. He nodded slightly, "I know. But what of the children. How can I let them go?" "You can't but you have to. Say goodbye. you'll be back again some day." A nod was my answer. With that, he thumped away. "Children," he called. "I must go." Tears filled their eyes as he waved goodbye. "Don't cry! I'll be back again some day." Each child hugged Frosty. It was not Frosty who left but the children off to their homes to tell of today's tales. He waved goodbye, as I left to my home that day.