Ian's POV

The morning went by quickly after that. I didn't know anyone in my computer science or Latin classes. Noah was in my gym class and my math class. Gym was, as expected, an unpleasant experience. Math was alright, but I'm not really much of a math guy. Lasercorn was in math with us too.

Then it was time for lunch. I walked out of math with Lasercorn and Noah. Lasercorn waved over a guy with short hair and dark circles under his eyes to rival Lasercorn's. The guy looked over at us.

"So, which one's Noah?" He asked in a deadpan tone. Noah raised an eyebrow.

"Uh, I am. Why?" He asked.

"Joven and I mentioned you in our group chat," Lasercorn said.

"Alright," Noah said.

"And this is Ian," Lasercorn said, pointing to me.

"I'm Matt. Matt Sohinki. People just call me Sohinki though," The guy said.

"You guys really like nicknames," I commented. Lasercorn simply shrugged.

"It's kind of like naming ourselves. It's cool," He said. We walked toward the lunchroom together. As we were turning a corner, my eyes met those of a guy in a leather bomber jacket. Anthony. He winked at me.

"Anthony Padilla. Resident bad boy," Sohinki informed Noah and I.

"I dunno, he was pretty nice to me this morning," I said. Sohinki shrugged.

"It's more because he's mysterious and stuff. He's not too big of a jerk or anything," He said. The halls were crazy. A girl pushed past us coming from the lunch room, looking slightly frantic.

"What's with Courtney?" Noah asked. Lasercorn snorted.

"One thing or another," He said. Noah glanced at me. Neither of us had any idea what that meant.

"Anyway, there's our table," Lasercorn said, pointing to a table in the corner of the room. Joven and a girl with purple hair were already sitting there. We walked over.

"This is Ian and Noah," Lasercorn introduced us to Purple Hair.

"I'm Mari," The girl said. We smiled at each other, before she pulled out her phone and started reading something. Just then, another guy walked up to the table.

"Hey, you guys seen Wes?" The guy asked. He had glasses, and was wearing a sweatshirt and a baseball cap.

"No, man. I dunno, he seemed pretty freaked out when he left the chat," Joven said. The guy looked worried and walked off.

"So, you guys meet anyone cool today?" Sohinki asked.

"Just you guys and Anthony," I said. Sohinki nodded and looked to Noah.

"You guys, and Courtney, and, uh, a guy named Shayne," He said. I paused.

"You mean Shayne Topp?" Sohinki snorted.

"Shayne Topp?" I asked. Sohinki nodded.

"Only the most popular guy at school," Sohinki said.

"And unlike Anthony, he's more than a bit of a jerk," Mari added, looking up from her phone.

"I know Shayne Topp," I said. Lasercorn looked over at me.

"Really?" He asked.

"Yeah. We met at summer camp a few years ago. He was really nice. We bunked together," I said. Lasercorn shrugged.

"People change, I guess. He moved here at the beginning of high school," He said. I didn't want to believe that. Shayne was probably one of the people I had grown closest to. And then we had just... lost touch. And now, apparently, he was a huge jerk.

"He seemed cool this morning," Noah said.

"Cool. Right. That's his priority," Joven said.

"That's all Shayne Topp cares about," Lasercorn said. And I knew that they were wrong.