Home Sweet Home

Chapter One

        Wow, it feels so good to be back! Five years was far too long! There were so many things that I missed out on and most of all I missed my best friend, Cory. I waited, outside his front door, for someone to answer the door. I didn't know how my old friends would react to seeing me again, I had changed so much. Did they even want me back in their lives? The door swung open as I tried to smile and look like I wasn't nervous.

                "Cory," I said,smiling like a madwoman.

        He blinked as in disbelief. I smiled,I would recognize that hair anywhere.

                "Do I know you?" He said,almost breathless.

        I giggled. "It's me, Skylar. Skylar Johnson."

        He laughed."No way! Skylar,come in!" Cory said,pulling me into an almost unbearably tight hug.

                "I missed you so much,Cory!"

                "I missed you,too! Wow,I can't believe that you're back! You look...incredible."

        I blushed. It was true,I looked better than I did before. I lost weight and blossomed,I actually looked like a girl.

                "Thank you,you don't look so bad yourself!"

                "Come on,my parents will love to see you again!" He said,walking me to the kitchen.

        I was relieved. I couldn't believe that he missed me too,after five years!

                "Mom, Dad!"

         Cory's parents rushed downstairs to see what happened.

                "Cory, what's wrong?!" His mom said, running downstairs in panic.

        She stopped when she saw me.

                "This can't be little Skylar."

        I blushed."Yes,ma'am. It's me."

        She pulled me into a big hug.

                "How many times have I told you to call me Amy? We missed you so much! Your mother never told me that you were coming back."

        I sighed."No,I guess she didn't. Dad finally decided to retire so here we are,back in our old house. I can't believe that it's still empty after five years."

                "How is General Johnson?" Cory's father,Alan asked.

        I looked down.

                "He could be better,but he's fine." I lied.

        The truth is that my father had been going through post traumatic stress after his last deployment. It had gotten so bad that he had no choice but to retire from the military after twenty years. I worried for him so much,but since my mom left...someone had to take care of him. The Matthews didn't know about my father and I couldn't let them know about my father either. At least,not right away;I had just got back.

        The back door closed and Eric walked in I smiled. He was like the fun older brother that I never had.

                "Wow! Cory,you did well! Does Topanga know about her?"

        I giggled.

                "Nice to see you again,Eric."

        His eyes widened in shock.

                "Sky! How's my favorite sibling?!"He shouted,picking me up and swinging me around.

                "Eric,put me down! I'm getting dizzy!"

        He put me back on the floor so that I could regain my balance.

                "God,I can't believe you're back. I missed you so much!"He said,hugging me again.

        I felt so much love in the Matthew house,unlike my own.

                "Where's Morgan?" I asked.

        I was never too fond of the little pest,but I missed her all the same.

                "She's at her friend's house,she'll be home for dinner."

                "Aw,I miss her. I can't wait to see how much she's grown."

        Amy laughed.

                "Well,look at you! Where's the little chubby tomboy that I remember?! You've really developed into a beautiful young woman!"

        I blushed."Thank you."

                "Okay,that's enough,guys. Sky's probably feeling overwhelmed and tired from traveling."Cory said as he ushered me back into the living room.

                "Cory,why the sudden rush?"

        He sighed and looked up at me as of he were getting serious.

                "Does Topanga know you're here?"

        I giggled."Yeah,she actually knew before you did. I asked her to keep it a surprise,but...why so serious?"

                "Well..I didn't really mean to ask you if Topanga knew that you're back...I meant to ask..."

                "If Shawn knows?"

                "Yeah..."

        In truth, Shawn didn't know. He was the reason that I moved in the first place. All of that teasing and taunting finally got to me and I decided that I was tired of it. I was miserable and I would much rather move, from city to city,country to country, than be miserable.

                "No,Cory,he doesn't and you're not going to tell him. He'll find out tomorrow at school anyway. Please, please, please don't say anything."

                "Sky,he needs to know..."

        I shook my head.

                "No, he doesn't. Not yet. Please. I know that you're going to see him today and just don't say anything."

        He nodded.

                "Hey,Cor! Guess what? Woah...hello," we heard behind us.

        It was Shawn.

                "I have to go." Then running out of the front door.

        It was kind of awkward, but I didn't care. I would deal with it in the morning at school. Until then, I didn't even want to think about Shawn.