Chapter Two

When I get upstairs I slam the door behind me. Did she think I was going to leave the baby in the system. Who knows what could happen to him? You here stories on the news all the time about kids being abused by there foster parents. I grab my backpack and shove some clothes in there, my wallet, and random other things. I guess I was being to loud, because not long after my little brother came out of his room. "Where are you going?" He asks, eyes wide. "I have custody of Oliver and mom won't let me stay here." I tell him. Tears well up in his eyes and he rushes over to hug me. "Oh bub." I say and wrap my arms around him. "Please come back, don't leave me like dad did." He cries. His soft sobs fill the room. "Alex look at me." He lifts up his head and stares at me with sad eyes. "I'm not dad, I'll be back, I don't know when but I will." He sniffles and wipes his tears. "Promise?" That was a rule between me and him, no matter how mad we got at each other we would never break a promise. "I promise bub, go to sleep and I'll tell you when I leave tomorrow." He let's go and runs off to his room. Even though he's eleven now, he's always gonna be my baby brother. I finish packing my clothes and I plop down on my bed to think of a plan. I have a savings account in the bank, I can take the bus to the bank and use that money to get a car. I grab my phone and turn it on and stare at the screen saver. It's a picture of all of the cousins back home. My other aunt has to kids. A little girl Oliver's age and a baby boy who was born a few months ago. Then Sydney had two girls, ones 8 and one is 5 who are with my great grandmother. Oliver sits in the middle, smiling a perfect little boy smile. I'm pretty sure it was at that moment when I realized that he was my world. I unlock my phone and go into the contacts to try to contact my other aunt, Bethany. "Hey, I'm getting custody of Oliver." I say once I hear her pick up. "Honey your sixteen." She scolds. I sigh and play with the hem of my shirt. "I can't leave him in the system, my mom's not letting my stay here. I don't have anywhere to go and tomorrow I'm going to get a car-" "Hey, calm down its okay. If I had room I'd let you stay here. Once you get somewhere let me know and I'll mail you some money." I thank the heavens for my other aunt, she was a lifesaver. "Thank you so much." We exchange goodbyes and I let out a sigh of relief. That night I lay in bed, unable to fall asleep. I knew that the next morning I would be holding a small two year old boy in my arms. He would be my responsibility, my son. I got back onto my phone and rented a cheap hotel room for a week. It had an indoor pool so Olly could swim and play, we would leave Florida and go to Mississippi so it was far away enough from my mother. Everything was slowly falling into place. It was 1am before I finally drifted off to sleep.

"Me Me!" Hayden calls. We are back in Kentucky for thanksgiving and all of the younger kids are in the living room watching cartoons. My aunt Sydney comes out of the kitchen holding a brownie in one hand while the other is supporting her swollen belly. She smiles a real smile, one I haven't seen for a long time. I was fourteen at the time. My brother rushes over to the living room and joins the other kids by the t.v. "Mircle I want to talk to you in the kitchen, alone." My mom shoots her a nasty glare. They never got along, not even when they were kids. I followed her in the kitchen and snuck another brownie from the pan. "Do you know what a godmother is?" She asks out of no where. "What?" I say with my mouth full of brownie. "A godmother is a person who can care for a baby if somthing happens to the parents." She stares out the window then turns to me. "I know your only fourteen, and if anything happens to me it will be much later in life, so would you like to be Oliver's godmother?"

I wake from my dream around 9am and memories from last night come rushing back. I sit up in my bed and head to the shower to clean up. Once I shower and my short brown hair is blow dried, I throw on some clothes. I put on a black sundress and some black and white converse. "Mom! I'm using your car!" I call. Before she could say no I grab the keys and take off running out the door. I hop in my mom's car and start driving to the bank to withdraw my money. Once that's done I turn back and head home. To avoid being chewed out by my mom I go in through the back door. I try to head upstairs but I'm stopped by a stern voice. "Mircle, where do you think your going today?" She asks me. "I'm going to call Taylor to see if she could give me a ride to get Oliver." She shakes her head and looks at the floor. "Your still getting that baby?" She starts to laugh. Anger serges through my body. "Of course I am, then I'm taking him to Mississippi far away from you." I turn to stomp up the stairs. "Your just going to leave me and your brother? Your exactly like your father." My body screeches to a halt. My blood begins to boil. I spin on my heel to face her. "Your forgetting one thing, I'm not running off with a 21 year old like dad, I'm not spending all my money on booze like dad, I'm trying my hardest to raise a child by myself at the age of sixteen and I can promise you I'm nothing like dad." I turn back around and stomp up the stairs, glad not to be in her face.