Chapter Five

He gave up.

            I am free.

            Thaur’s instructions lingers in me through the night like my own little alarm clock which has prevented me doze off even just for a second. The shadows beneath my eyes freaked me out in front of my bathroom mirror when I woke up. I shake the trouble off to prepare myself for another day in school. I have the entire day thinking for the proposal he has set out for me.

            Hey. What am I doing? I have thought of this last night – I will not go. Hiding sounds wonderful to me, how could I have second thoughts? Get you head straight, Rosie.

            I drink two tablets with a glass of water before I left the house for school. The sun is out – my favorite weather. I hide my leather jacket in my backpack to give way for my black sleeveless shirt kiss the heat of the sun. My skinny jeans are flexible, however. I can wear them any time of the day.

            The familiar path towards school is dry unlike yesterday, as if ready to uplift my mood because of a wise decision made. Is it really a wise decision? Thaur mentioned that someone else will come for me . . . but he told me to hide. I think the way I hide today is enough to conceal any information about my connection to Xander.

            If the school knows that Xander is my brother, it will be easier for other Capos to look for me, then. What is wrong with you, Rosie?

            I breathe in a handful of fresh air to calm myself down. Everything will be okay and I shouldn’t worry too much.

            My first period is Spanish – which will be quite a challenge at the same time a shutting down activity for my brain for any anxiousness and confusion. This subject will give me something else to think about.

            What if the Sector War is not as hard as I expected it to be? What if it is just like a math problem where all you need is to identify what are the given hints then you are good to go? But, Thaur and Hayes mentioned about trainings and the numbers – what are they are for?

            Stop it, Rosie!

            If Xander was a Capo, that means he survived the Sector War by landing on the top above the other recruits and soldiers. He must have been really a great candidate for the position. And, Thaur and Hayes, however, must have been as great as him. How bad is it?

            Really, Rosie?

            I am not like them, I know. I am just a little girl, a crying baby with issues. But they promised to train me, to give me everything they know. This means their life too, what else could go wrong, right? If I know how to attack the problem, then I will be able to solve it with ease. All I should do is to attend the orientation and gather all of the information I need.

            You are impossible, Rosie.

            Isn’t Xander worth a reason to be considered? Should I just let his death seek its own justice alone? Only by joining Le Sourne will I know the further details of his case. Should I just let it go like that? Should I just be a coward waiting for what the cops to feed me with what they want me to believe in?

            “Hi, Rose” I came a bit earlier than Harby at the cafeteria than he did. I reserved him a seat to repay the favor from yesterday. Today, his face is even brighter than the weather in his blue shirt.

            “Hi” I whisper “So, how was history without me?”

            “They didn’t notice” he smiles “what went wrong?”