Chapter Two

“Daddy”

            My heart is still racing even though I have popped three pills dry five minutes ago. The tears just won’t stop and the bile of acid makes me feel like throwing up each time. I can’t remember what has happened. I woke up in an infirmary with strange faces surrounding me. I saw immediately the guy who asked me unending questions and handed me the phone with father at the end of the line. It was a long walk though from the infirmary to this small room with a single telephone for a long distance call. They are all guarding the door and the area is windowless. All is plainly white, nothing more.

            The lump is choking again against my throat.

            “Daddy” I cry.

            “Hush now honey” I can hear the relief in his voice. The bile of irritation makes my mouth sour. He should be concern by now about his daughter “everything will be alright. You are such a clever girl”

            “I don’t want to die”

            “You won’t die, honey. What you did is the right thing” he says “but everything is going to be alright now. You just have to stay calm and I will send someone to you soon”

            “How much do they want?” I groan at the idea “are they going to kill me like Xander?”

            “Nobody killed your brother, honey” he insists “how many times should I tell you that? I have taken care of the necessary things from the registration and authentication. You will be safe. There is nothing to be scared of”

            “What is this daddy? They want me to replace Xander’s place”

            “I sent someone to explain it to you” he says “he’s a bright man and he can help you get through this soon. Be strong -”

            Someone has cut the line as soon as the door open and a voice almost made me jump saying “That’s enough”

            I drop the phone because of the sudden terror and I freeze. A guy steps forward from the door – he was the second guy who ordered my attackers to get my bag pack for me – his blonde hair glistens along the fluorescent light. The hard bones structure gives me shiver. I am surprise by the mild reaction I have; the tablets must be working.

            “Your time is over” he raises both eyebrows. I nod and look down. He sighs and closes the door behind him. He examines my agitation so he refers me to sit on the only chair in the middle of the room. I immediately follow; after all, my legs are wobbly and tired. “Your brother was smart. He knew how to save you from being killed”

            “You killed my brother?” I murmur but my tone was not alleging, instead, it is wrapped in fear and caution.

            He looks at me with those pained eyes, as if I have said something insulting. His jaw is hard and furious, I bite my lips to stop them from trembling. He shakes his head for once “Barking at the wrong tree, huh? He was a brother to me, to Thaur – you just met Thaur at the gym – and to all the members of Le Sourne. He was the pride of Le Sourne – the reason why they got him”

            “Who are they?” my eyebrows met “and what is Le Sourne?”

            “Too much question, eh?” he half-smiled as he paces across the room slowly “don’t you dare ask them to the Capos or to the members or to anyone in this building, they will kill you when they found out that you really don’t know anything about Le Sourne nor a rightful replacement for Xander”