Chapter Sixty

The butcher, or mayor Harry supposed, chuckled at her threat. "Your Highness," he simpered with an ingratiating bow. "I was merely attempting to return him to you, to see you as a family once again."

Harry spluttered. "He was going to lock him in a dungeon and torture him to death!" he yelled incredulously.

The mayor shrugged. "Well, we don't have to do that," he said with a roll of his eyes.

It hadn't escaped Harry's attention that the skeletons were silently drawing in; just an inch or so at a time, but they were definitely getting closer. "They do not belong here Abattoir," the queen said firmly. "I am here to see them personally returned to the Living Land, before the strike of midnight."

Draco stood with Bones still in his arms, the worry on his face reflecting Harry's own feelings. It was an extremely nice gesture, but they were still only four against a whole army, a fact that didn't seem to have passed Abattoir by either. "The only reason you were able to travel down here at all," he boasted. "Is because my police followed in the wake of these boys. Once their memories of the Living Land are gone, and we depart back to the first level, you will have no means of maintaining this existence, and you'll fade into nothingness." He snarled nastily. "And believe me, I will make you stay behind for daring to interfere with my affairs. You'll be lost, and the Darkling Prince will be mine, and the royal family of Halloween Land will fade into oblivion."

"You seem sure of that," the queen said calmly.

Abattoir curled his lip. "Without an army of your own, I don't see what choice you have?"

"Ah," said Bones with a nod from his perch in Draco's arms. "That's alright then." He let lose an ear-piercing whistle, and Harry flinched backwards as all the windows around them shattered.

Walking suits of armour brandishing enormous longswords started clambering inside, and a dozen or so ghosts came flying overhead, dropping heavy pumpkins onto the heads of the HSP, scattering their bones apart and making a squishy mess of the carpet.

"What-?" the mayor cried in outrage, his head snapping back and forth as his minions took on the clanking suits of armour.

"We're gonna need more space Sunshine," Bones said, reaching up with a paw to bat at Draco's chest. "Quick, think of somewhere bigger."

"Why-?" Draco asked.

"Just do it!" Bones shouted back.

Harry barely registered the thought before the walls of the common room began falling, cascading down impossibly fast, brick by brick like a waterfall. The ground was pulled from under them like a rug, and before his and Draco's backsides hit the floor it had turned to grass. The furniture was swallowed up into the dirt in a flash, and the ceiling blew away as if snatched up by a powerful tornado, leaving them open to the night air.

They were on the Hogwarts Quidditch pitch, and Harry felt rather saw his clothes change yet again into the Gryffindor team kit. Draco too was now sporting the Slytherin colours, and he scrambled up with Bones still in his arms, pointing several feet away. "Quick!" he instructed, and Harry understood why. Along with their uniforms, they also now had been gifted with a pair of brand new Firebolt 3000s.

Draco chucked the first one he picked up into Harry's waiting grasp, then they both mounted the brooms and shot several feet into the air, hovering out of the reach of the skeletons still wrestling with the armour, as well as the mayor, although the queen was doing a good job keeping him at bay with a jewel encrusted dagger.

The HSP were pouring in from every door in the stadium door though, and the ghosts had run out of pumpkins. The armour battalion was holding its ground, but at the current rate it would be less than a minute if that before they would become outnumbered.

"We have to do something!" Harry cried helplessly.

"Don't worry mate," a voice inexplicably came from above. "We've got you covered!"

Harry's jaw dropped as he looked up...and was met with a sky full of wings.

Rocky was dive bombing into the fray, shooting past them on their brooms with a squadron of robins in his wake to aim themselves at the HSP skulls, sending them toppling from their shoulders to smash into the ground. The female warriors were back on their flying horses, their battle cry echoing around the stadium as they wielded their mallets and axes with deadly force, their leader stopping to hand Draco a large horn from her back that apparently contained some sort of drink.

"Your Highness," she cried in delight. "It seems you found your love."

Harry blinked stupidly as Draco grinned at him. "It seems I did," he agreed.