Chapter forty: What kind of a signal is that?

Jabbernock gently hovered above the ground as debris surrounded him. Erna and Johnwolph stood beside me as they entered the room. "Wow, doing your job while staring at the window. That's unusual," commented Erna. Raising his arms, the general looked up and finally turned to us. Because of the wind, the only thing we saw was his silhouette and his furious eyes. "Ah, Lady Erna and . . . Johnwolph?"

"What? First time to see an old man?" Johnwolph spat, but the general only laughed at the hunter's glare.

"Well, you do love inviting people to the party do you, Vortecse? This is funny."

"Are we just gonna joke around or what?" I yelled through the noisy storm. At his back, the window tore apart and turned into shattered debris, swirling around the general's body. He rose again until he had full control of the entire roof of the cabin. "Why? Why do you have to ask him that?" Erna frowned.

We started the fight. Johnwolph shot two dynamite arrows, but Jabbernock reflected the explosions against us once the arrows almost reached him. The cabin was fully destroyed. Erna rolled and braced herself for cover, John jumped on top of a branch near the third floor of the cabin and slid down, and I jumped and landed on top of a rock. "Really?! You know he can do that," I yelled to John, but he didn't hear me as he rolled over from the collapsed cabin behind him.

"We will restore the world by rebuilding it again. He and his army will rise again!" The general growled.

"Not this time," I muttered. Reaching the mind of Giuseppe, I told him to activate the signal. Did you find him? He asked. 

Yes, and give them the signal, quickly. The general misses us for a long time, he wants to hug us by crashing our bones to bits. I bashed my shield when flaming wooden planks were spat out from the explosion. 

I'm on it, Giuseppe said. I hoped the rest of the team would be careful. The same goes for us.

=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#=====#==

Giuseppe's perspective

If you're about to die, just give me a call, I said inside my head while picking my nose. 

He yelled, Just hurry! Jeez, someone's having a total breakdown. And that was the last time we communicated with each other telepathically. All right, it's time. I turned to Jalve to ask if the teams were in position, but he was sleeping on the ground, drooling all over. It's disgusting. 

"Jalve, wake up. How's the team?" I nudged him on the arm.

"Wha-what?" He bolted up and was now wide awake. "Oh, the team, right." He scanned through the camp from afar. Because of the icy mist, I couldn't even see them except for their silhouettes. "They're good, Mr. Star." He nodded at me.

"Well, here goes nothing." I stood and spread my arms wide. "KAKAAAHHH-KAKAAAHHH-KAKAAAAAHHH!!!!" I jumped, waving my arms as high as I could. 

"What are you doing?" Jalve gasped.

"Giving them the signal, what do you think? KAKAAAHHH!!!" I pointed out.

"That doesn't even sound like a fox," Jalve complained, but I had to get their attention.

"Jalve, check if they got the signal."

He went back to search mode while I kept making this awful sound. After a few minutes, Jalve turned to me. "They're on the move. You can stop making a fool out of yourself now." I leaned forward and held my knees, panting and taking large gulps of air. Despite the weather, sweat trickled down from my forehead to my neck.