Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Copyright © Gem Higa

The Wic's Guild was located not too far from the castle. In times of need, the mages could easily be called upon to defend against intruders.

Leiv reached the entrance to the guild, and looked up at the massive gates. The guild was the second largest structure to be built in King's City, the first being the castle itself. The whole structure was surrounded by stonewalls that rose high above her. Iron rods were built with sharp tips, protecting the guild from uninvited outsiders. Nothing from the inside was visible from the exterior. The gates themselves were not made in a mere blacksmith's shop, but were constructed and protected by a number of spells casted by The Wics' within the guild.

One would think their walls were easily scaled or gates easily penetrated, but nothing with the Wics was ever simple. Any intruder that attempted to climb the walls would only be greeted with solid rods, which upon approach pushed together leaving minimal gaps. The rods were too smooth to grip, thus impossible to climb. If a brave soul somehow managed to make it to the top, they would have to carefully maneuver over the sharp tips and slide all the way down without being detected.

Luckily for Leiv, she didn't need to scale their walls or push the gates with force. Her invitation was enough. She simply rested her hand upon the large gates and announced herself.

"My name is Leiv, apprentice to the King's Blade. I have a lesson with Lord Therian, Lord of this guild."

The entrance slowly swung open, revealing the guards that protected the front. There were two sentries that opened the gate, and each bowed as she passed them. She never thought she could get used to the formalities, but over the years she grew accustomed to it. Her status meant everyone had to drop their heads, aside from the royal family.

She walked to the front doors of the guild and was greeted by a familiar face. Lord Therian stood over her. He was a few years younger than her father. His dark blond hair was a stark difference to his brown skin as it flowed in the wind, a few tendrils escaping his hair clasp. Unlike most of the men in the Kingdom, Lord Therian kept his hair long, reaching just past his shoulders. He chose to keep some of his Pytian roots. It helped him connect to home.

He arrived a few years after the Hunter had found Leiv. His family and village were brutalized by those who had a distaste for magic. He was the only Pytian of his kind born in decades. This made him dangerous and wanted. A bounty was placed on him by their overlord. Before he could escape with his family, they were caught and killed. Therian barely escaped.

He arrived at the Orakrest ports and asked King Liyem for clemency. He wanted a chance at a new life. The King was hesitant at first. No one knew anything about the country of Pytia. The king was wary after the war.

He showed the king what he could do. Unlike Therian's overlord, the king knew a weapon when he saw one. No one in their kingdom, nor the Wic's guild held such powers. It didn't take the mage long to rise in the ranks.

His deep voice greeted her, the old Pytian accent finally leaving the mage.  "Welcome back to the guild, Leiv," Therian led her inside. "I hope coming here is not much of an inconvenience. Our guild is the only place with enough warding to contain your possible abilities."

Possible abilities. She knew there was a chance she didn't have any powers. She only came to these lessons to learn and know more about magical abilities. It was Therian who suggested they try other things.

"None at all."

"I'm glad to see you are in a good mood today, Leiv." He turned to her. "I need you to have an open mind about our lesson today. I've been teaching you about mythology and the origins of elemental magic, but I think you're ready for practical usage of it."