Prologue

“Sometimes people are beautiful.

Not in looks.

Not in what they say.

Just in what they are.” 

― Markus Zusak, I Am the Messenger

 Prologue

Countless tears slid down my face as I once again plucked the courage to face the mirror. All I see is a girl. Just a plain girl with nothing else special. The girl in the mirror is staring back at me with wide, red eyes as she continue to mourn over her image. Her face is full of acne scars of various sizes and open pores. Blemishes are still present on her cheek. Her hair is dry and frizzy. 

"I look disgusting," I whisper to myself. Another wave of fresh tears escape from my tired -looking eyes. I cover my face with my hands and turn away from the mirror. I cannot bear to see myself anymore. "I will never be beautiful." 

The sound of someone clearing his throat startles me. I quickly wipe away the tears from my eyes and turn to the guy who disturbed my alone time.

"What are you doing here?" I ask. My eyes are downcast so he will not see I was crying. 

I hear footsteps approaching my one by one. "Why are you here...alone...and crying?" He stops in front of me. He hooks a finger under my chin, tilting my head to look at him. 

"Nothing." 

"I know it's something," he insisted. 

"No, it's not." I turn my back to him to gather my things. "I better go." I head towards the door in quick steps.

"You know," he speaks in a loud and clear voice. My steps slow down. "Beautiful is a very deep word. Most people misinterprets it. Only a few understands it." 

I continue to my way to the door and as I reach for the doorknob, he spoke again, "Keep that in mind." I nod my head once before I left.