Chapter Twenty-Five: A Battle Continued

The pain in my back ripped through me, even after I had fallen to the floor.

Poseidon stomped on me, only adding an intense throb atop the stinging lacerations, and stepped over me to my mother. “A well thought out plan, Athena, really, but in the end, the girl really wasn’t up for the task.” He studied me with pity. His skin was flecked with burns and blotched with bruises. He turned to Amphitrite, pointing his trident. “I said I’d speak to you later,” he growled.

My mother wheezed in a breath and rolled her shoulders. “Uncle, you’re a fool to think I’d send for the girl. She’s here of her own accord, foolishly as usual.” She scowled.  She stepped over me to meet Poseidon’s gaze.

I rolled over onto my back, my head next to Poseidon’s foot. My back seared, the three cuts spreading fire all over my body. I closed my eyes, trying to breathe evenly.

“You’ve knocked her out cold, Uncle.” She sounded calm, calculating. “She’s too weak for these situations anyway. Now, we can focus on just the two of us.” Her footsteps echoed in my ears. Her voice was ragged, but she was still standing.

Poseidon laughed, the deep bellow curdling in my stomach. “You truly believe that after everything, you’re strong enough to battle? I’d have sent you to the arena days ago if I’d known that. I almost send the girl there, but she’d have died.”

The hissing gush of running water rang through the room. It speckled my body, lightly wetting my face. A soft thump and a quiet groan were barely audible.

Fear and anger twisted my gut. I cracked an eye open, watching Poseidon from my position beneath him. His stance was solid, prepared to send another wave crashing onto my mother, who was slumped against a wall. In a swift movement, I whipped my dagger out of its scabbard and stabbed Poseidon in the calf. I yanked it from his leg and jumped to my feet, ignoring the protests from my back.

Poseidon clenched his teeth together and swatted at me with his trident; it ripped my dress and raked my thigh. As I struggled to stay upright, he clutched my chin. His hand shook my head back and forth. “You put on such a brave face, but you’re just a mortal.” He let go of my arm and slashed across my face.

I fell to the floor, my dagger clattering away from me. Blood rushed down my cheek, my face burning with the cuts. I pulled my arm out from under me and dragged myself toward my dagger.

Poseidon jammed all three prongs into my leg; I choked in a breath. “You stupid little bitch!” He slowly removed the trident, ignoring each gasp of pain. He turned to my mother. “Now, Athena, why don’t we talk?” His voice was steaming.

My mother said nothing as she folded her hands together. Her face was stoic. When he pointed the trident to her, she said, “I see no need for that.” Though her gaze did not dart to me, she followed my motions as I carefully slid myself toward my dagger.

“Why is that?”

My eyes flickered to my mother as she relaxed herself and continued to speak, “Because you don’t possibly stand a chance, Uncle. How could you hope to outsmart a war goddess?” She chuckled, a scratching throaty noise, nothing of a goddess’ chime.

He stepped closer to her, almost nose to nose. “You’re as weak as that mortal.”

My fingers curled around my dagger. Mustering the last bit of strength I had, I leapt to my feet with gritted teeth, fighting the pain in each movement. “I’m not weak.” Before Poseidon could react, I stabbed him in the chest, right where he’d carved into my skin. “And I’m not just a mortal.” My words were laced with heavy gasps for air. I pulled the blade out and shoved it in again, ignoring the nearly gold blood gushing over my hands. “I’m the daughter of Lady Pallas Athena, and you’d damn well not forget it.” I ripped it out again and jabbed the knife into his neck. The realization of what I’d done struck me when I withdrew my blade. I stumbled backward, and a cry shuddered out of me. With one bloody hand, I covered my mouth.