04

C H A P I T R E 0 4

Song for this chapter: Bird Set Free – Sia

But there's a scream inside that we all try to hide
We hold on so tight, we cannot deny
Eats us alive, oh it eats us alive

AUTUMN WAS REALLY STARTING to be scared. Her friends were going crazy.

It was the day after she had her encounter with Noah. Wesley, Iris, Cynthia and Autumn were at their lunch table, discussing yet again, what happened between Autumn and Noah.

Iris threw her black hair over her shoulder, "I mean, if you don't want to be in the team, get the fuck out." She was exasperated, and you could feel it by the vibe she was projecting. Cynthia and Iris were talking about their volleyball team; they were angry at the fact that a girl was slacking off.

Autumn found the idea of practicing a team sport really interesting; only she sucked at those. Badly. She was only good at dance.

Wesley was in a football team, so he agreed with the girls on certain things. Autumn was the only one who didn't understood completely what they meant. Because in ballet, you were on your own. You didn't develop some spirit. You developed competition.

She was in her own mind, mostly thinking about Noah. She didn't realize that a small smile tugged at her lips, but her friends sure did.

Iris, amused, said :

"What's up with you Autumn? Why are you feeling so giddy?"

Autumn didn't even tell Cynthia about what completely happened between her and Noah. Not that anything happened, she quickly corrected herself in her mind. Only, Autumn felt that if she was to talk about it, especially with her friends, it would be real. And there was absolutely nothing wrong  about it feeling real, she just thought that she'll have to start to really think about it and analyze everything. She liked what she felt and thought in her mind, without Cynthia's or Iris or Wesley's point of view. She just wanted to be in her world a little while longer.

She shrugged her shoulders, but her constant smile gave her away.

It was Cynthia who answered.

"She went out with Loverboy yesterday after school." She clicked her tongue, "She doesn't want to talk about it, yet."

Iris gasped, "What?" She screeched, "Oh my god, I need to know everything."

"Me too. You've been talking so much about him that even I need to know." Wesley piped in, chuckling.

"Don't even bother. Since last night I've been trying to get something out of her." She took a bite out of apple. "You're killing me, Au." She added dramatically.

"Alright, calm down guys." Autumn rolled her eyes, that permanent grin still etched on her face. "I've been torturing you enough." She addressed mostly to Cynthia.

Cynthia jumped in surprise.

"What? Does this mean you'll finally tell us?" The ginger excitedly exclaimed.

"Yes!" Iris shouted not so subtly, which earned her a couple of stares. She gave them a dirty look in return.

Wesley put his arm around Cynthia's waist to try and calm her down. It didn't work, of course, but it was still nice.

"There isn't much to tell." Autumn simply stated, taking a small bite of her salad. "He offered to give me a ride home and I accepted. But then we ended up staying at a local diner for two hours. And that's it."