There's a First Time for Everything

Dylan woke up to the sound of her alarm. She slid out of her bed, she was still groggy. It was seven and she had to be there at eight. She put on her glasses, blinking a few times. Rummaging through her drawers, she found a nice blouse and pants. Before putting on clothes she took a shower, and it had to be a quick shower, it would take her at least ten minutes to walk there.

Taking a slip of paper she wrote:

I'll be home in the afternoon. I have become a baby sitter for the Wright family.

Taking the paper, she taped it to her front door, hoping her mother would see it.  She slipped on a pair of blue converses and briskly walked out the door. The house was located on Acorn drive. Dylan walked across her street and towards a nice subdivision. "They must be rich," Dylan muttered to herself.

"Five, nine, zero, one. Five, nine, zero, one," she repeated the address in her head.

She stopped at a two story brick house. She looked at the watch on her wrist, 7:55am. It was a beautiful house, it had marble steps and an double front door. Dylan rang the door bell and seconds after a woman stepped out, wearing a business suit.

"Who are you," the woman looked down at her with an angry face.

Dylan shuffled her feet, "The baby sitter."

"Oh! Yes, I am Pam," her face seemed to brighten. "You're right on time dear, please make yourself at home."

Dylan stood shocked at the warm welcome, "Oh, okay."

"I have to leave for work now, I'm sure she won't be any trouble," Pam said as she walked out of her home and towards what seemed to be a garage.

"Oh," Dylan looked confused, "Do I just walk in," she questioned herself.  "I guess so," she mumbles as she walks in, closing and locking the door behind her. She carefully took off her shoes and placed them on the mat, which seemed to be quite expensive. Stuffing her hands into her back pockets, Dylan began to walk around the house.

A girl poked her head around a wall, "Hello."

Dylan nearly screamed as she turned around quickly to see a girl with dark brown hair and dark blue eyes, "Hi! Oh, oh my."

"Are you the baby sitter?"

"Y-yes," Dylan nodded.

"What's your name?"

"Dylan."

"Are you a boy?"

Dylan sighed, "No."

"Then why do you look like one? Isn't your hair supposed to be long?"

"No. It doesn't have to be," she mumbles.

"How old are you?"

"Six-teen. You ask a lot of questions y'know."

The girl smiled, "I know!"

"My turn. So how old are you?"

"Nine."

Dylan nodded slowly, "You have a nice house."

The girl just shrugged and ran off. Dylan looked intrigued and followed. "Wait, what's your name," Dylan asked. "Maggie," she yelled. Dylan walked into what appeared to be a bedroom and found Maggie jumping on a bed.

"Do your parents let you do that," asked Dylan.

Maggie grinned devilishly, "Nope."

"Is this even your room?"

The room was a dark blue, with grey drawers and grey sheets.  It had posters of what seemed to be an anime show and a video game along with a PC. Dylan looked around at the pictures on the nightstand. There was a medal that read: Captain of the Claywood Football Team 2020.

"Nope," repeated Maggie.

"So you have an older brother?"

"Yep."

"Why doesn't he take care of you then?"

"I dunno," Maggie shrugged.

The day dragged on. Maggie slowly became more a nuisance, and of course more question followed her many mischevious acts. Dylan puffed, sitting down on the leather couch. She looked over at the bundles of blankets on the ground, which contained a sleeping Maggie. Dylan had smiled, it was her first day and she had succeeded.

The front door opened as Mrs. Pam had stepped into her home. She was followed by a tall and thin man.

"She wasn't much of a hand full now was she," asked Pam.

Dylan shook her head quickly, "No ma'am."

"You baby sat for eight hours, and I agreed to ten dollars per hour," Pam smiled as she began to open her purse, "So here's your eighty for the day," she held out four twenties. Dylan took the money graciously. The man seemed to be starring at her, but his face had a blank expression.

"Thank you," Dylan whispered.