Chapter 23

Shanté P.O.V

Today I've spent almost the whole day at the mall, just shopping for new clothes. I was in and out of so many stores, and I have so many bags with me and my arms are starting to cramp. It's a good thing I've called it a day because I'm super tired.

Over the past few days I've been meeting up with my other friends instead of chilling in the house the whole damn time. Even if it's nice living alone, sometimes it's boring as hell. I come back really late in the evenings, but that's fine by me. There's no one I'm coming home to so that shouldn't be a problem.

I was on my way home when I thought of Conny, Nicole's mom. I haven't seen her in a minute, maybe I should go and visit her. We haven't spoke since Nicole left, and I think this is a good time to surprise her. Plus, I miss her a lot.

I dialed her number and waited for her to answer the phone.

Mama C: "Shanté! I was just thinking about you baby."

I chuckled. "Hey ma, I just wanted to ask if you're home."

Mama C: "Yes I am, you wanna visit?"

Me: "If you would like me to."

Mama C: "Shanté, do you even have to ask? I'd love for you to come!"

I smiled. "Okay mama, I'm almost there. See you now."

Mama C: "Alright baby."

A few moments later, I was parked in Mama C's driveway. The door was already open, but I still knocked.

I heard footsteps approaching towards me and there she was, looking gorgeous as always. She was a bit shorter than me and had mocha caramel skin. Her light brown curly hair was hanging loosely on her shoulders. She was wearing a white long sleeve with Boyfriend jeans and white converse. For a 45 year old, she still got it.

She welcomed me with open arms. I smiled as we gave each other a long tender embrace.

"My baby, you don't come and see me no more." She said, holding onto my hands.

I chuckled. "I'm sorry for that Mama C. But at least I'm here now!"

"It has been a long time, how are you though?" We linked arms as we headed to the sitting room.

"I've been ok... And how about you?"

She sighed, but smiled afterwards. "I'm fine... I can't complain." She huffed. "Who am I kidding. I thought the house would be calmer with Nicole gone, but Terrance moved back in."

I raised my brows. Terrance is Nicole's younger brother, he's 17. It's kind of a shocker to me that he is back, since he swore to us all that he's never coming back to live with them. Ever since Nicole's parents got divorced a few years ago, everything went south. The whole family separated, literally. Nicole stayed with Mama C and Terrance moved out with Mr. Black.

"Terrance is back? Seriously? I thought he said he's never coming back here..."

"That's what I also thought! I guess he has come back to his senses, he's father brainwashed him with all of that bull crap about how he can survive without a mother. I'm glad he saw things for himself."

I nodded in agreement. "Where is he now?"

"He's out with his friends. I just dropped him off a while ago before you arrived."

"Oh... Is he doing ok?"

She chuckled. "He is doing just fine. He's grown so much Shanté, you'll think he's a different person. He's still crazy, that's probably a gene we all have, but he's very matured now."