Chapter 6

Chara looked at the silhouette, with her arm still extended, and waited for it to do something. After a few hesitant seconds, it finally reached out to shake Chara's hand, and as soon as it grabbed it, a loud, uninterrupted fart sound came from the handshake. Chara stared at the silhouette, surprised and slightly annoyed. Frisk, on the other hand, burst into laughter, rolling around on the floor uncontrollably.

     The silhouette walked out of the shadows, revealing itself to be a grinning skeleton. He wasn't very tall, only a bit taller than Frisk, though still shorter than Chara. He wore a blue winter hoodie on top of a white t-shirt, some summer shorts underneath, and pink slippers to top it all off. The skeleton gave off a cozy, cheesy feel as he spoke. "heheh... the old whoopie cushion in the hand trick. it's ALWAYS funny."

     Frisk, finally over her laughing fit, smiled at the skeleton fondly. He looked at her, and smiled back, though it soon became questionable if he could ever stop smiling. "anyways, you're humans, right? that's hilarious." Chara, who hadn't spoken to him at all, didn't understand the humor of it, and decided to stay in silence, still bothered by his antics. "i'm sans. sans the skeleton."

     Frisk picked herself off the ground and shook Sans's hand, carefully avoiding the same hand Chara shook as to not fall for the same prank. "Hi there. I'm Frisk, and this is Chara!"

     Sans chuckled. "i'm actually supposed to be on watch for humans right now. but... y'know... i don't really care about capturing anybody." Chara, though slightly relieved, didn't enjoy Sans in the slightest. "now my brother, papyrus. he's a human-hunting FANATIC. hey, actually, i think that's him over there. i have an idea." Sans pointed into the forrest pathway, at a bridge that was held over a small chasm, which had wooden bars made to impede someone or something. "go through that gate-thingy."

     Frisk and Chara started to follow Sans through the woods. Chara shot Frisk an annoyed look. She was enjoying herself before this trashbag came and ruined it for her. Frisk responded with an understanding expression, as if she was saying, I know, but please be nice... Chara sighed. The three of them made it to the gate, and Sans waited for them to the side of it.

     "yeah, go right through. my bro made the bars too wide to stop anyone." Frisk and Chara walked through it first, lazily followed by Sans. They entered a wider area, though still surrounded by trees, and saw a wooden booth in one corner, as well as a lamp, which suspiciously resembled Frisk's general figure. Sans noticed someone in the distance, and, with obviously fake concern in his voice, he signaled towards the lamp with his head. "quick. behind that conveniently-shaped lamp, frisk."

     Chara looked at Sans angrily, and yelled, "Where the hell am I supposed to go?"

     "uh, maybe the sentry station will work. but don't eat my snacks," Sans replied, unimpressed, yet still smiling. Chara huffed, but didn't want to make a scene, so she rushed behind the wooden booth and ducked down. It smelled of many different condiments, though mostly ketchup. She despised it thoroughly, though she could still see  Frisk from her position, which was an upside. She smiled at Chara, trying to encourage her, though when Chara looked away playfully annoyed, she giggled.

     Chara peeked through a hole in the booth, and saw another skeleton approach Sans. He was much taller, and had an excessive confidence to him. He wore some sort of armor, as well as orange boots, gloves, and a scarf.  That must've been who Sans mentioned. "Papyrus".

     "sup, bro."

     "YOU KNOW WHAT 'SUP', BROTHER! IT'S BEEN EIGHT DAYS AND YOU STILL HAVEN'T... RECALIBRATED. YOUR. PUZZLES!"

     Chara looked relieved, knowing she wasn't the only one bothered by Sans. Frisk, though not out of relief, looked equally as entertained.

     "YOU JUST HANG AROUND OUTSIDE YOUR STATION! WHAT ARE YOU EVEN DOING?!?"

     "staring at this lamp. it's really cool. do you wanna look?"

     Chara froze. That petty liar! He's gonna rat her out! Frisk, as usual, didn't seem too worried by him.

     "NO!! I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT!! WHAT IF A HUMAN COMES THROUGH HERE?!? I WANT TO BE READY!!! I WILL BE THE ONE! I MUST BE THE ONE! I WILL CAPTURE A HUMAN! THEN I, THE GREAT PAPYRUS... WILL GET ALL THE THINGS I UTTERLY DESERVE!" 

     Papyrus ranted on about his future fame for a while, and Chara could easily tell that Sans was waiting for him to stop talking. Though she was still a bit surprised at his weirdly omniscient abilities. How did he know Papyrus was coming? How did he know that he wouldn't check the lamp? It doesn't make any sense...

     "hmm... maybe this lamp will help you."

     "SANS!! YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!"

     He did it again.

     "YOU GET LAZIER AND LAZIER EVERY DAY!!!"

     "hey, take it easy. i've gotten a ton of work done today. a skele-ton," joked Sans, winking at... the trees? A punchline rimshot could be heard coming from Sans. Chara was more confused than ever, but when she looked over the Frisk, she saw her giggling into her hands, clearly enjoying the two brothers. Chara decided to sit through their wild antics for Frisk's sake.

     The skeletons kept arguing for a few more minutes, as Papyrus kept going on about his greatness, and Sans kept making "wonderful" puns (according to Frisk). After a while, Papyrus finally left, and so Sans called out to the girls, saying that they could come out. The two of them came out (Chara almost ecstatic to be able to rid herself of the smell of ketchup), and were about to leave when Sans called out to them one last time. "actually, hey. hate to bother ya, but could you two do me a favor?" Frisk immediately agreed eagerly. "i was thinking... my brother's been kind of down lately... he's never seen a human before, and seeing you might just make his day. don't worry, he's not dangerous. even if he tries to be."

     Chara looked at the two angrily. Sans was oddly expressionless towards Chara, even though he seemed to have a permanent smile, but Frisk was looking up at her pleadingly. "Chara, pleeaase! I promise I'll make it up to you!" Chara sighed, not able to say no, even if she wanted to. "Fine." Frisk let out an unintentional yip of delight, before giving Chara a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you!" she said happily. Sans looked at the two of them, noticeably happier as well.

     "yeah. thanks a million. i'll be up ahead," replied Sans, as he walked back through the forest that they came from. Both of them looked at each other, bewildered, but decided not to question it.

     Chara and Frisk started walking onward, and then Chara remembered something, blushing. "Hey, um, Frisk?"

     "Yeah?"

     "How are you going to 'make it up to me'?"

     "You'll see later..." Frisk said, looking back at Chara suggestively. She blushed even more, but kept walking with Frisk, holding her hand, and impatiently awaiting her reward.