Chapter 2

Of course, it wasn't easy. I was way behind everyone else, and I often stayed behind to practice later, much to my mother's annoyance. But that's what happens when you have Viktor Nikiforov as your teacher.

______

"Careful now."

"I'm trying, I'm trying, cut me some slack!"

"It's only going to get harder from here on out, Alison."

He guided the girl across the ice, holding her steady as she attempted to hold the spread eagle without wobbling. She failed miserably.

"Hmmmm," he slid back to observe her from further back. "You form is getting better, but you balance stinks."

______

Even though we were the same age, I was essentially his pupil. I'll admit, I wasn't the most...cooperative of students.

______

"I can't do this anymore! I'm exhausted!"

"Waahhh?! But we have to keep going! You still suck, honey!"

"Buzz off, Viktor! And don't call me that!"

"We're not even close to done! You have no stamina, I swear!"

"Slave driver!"

"What was that?"

______

But I found myself drawn to this boy, this boy that came from nowhere with a heart kinder than I knew existed.

______

He placed one hand on her waist and grasped her hand with the other.

"Now lift you leg and point straight. Pretend you're an arrow."

"L-like this?"

"Perfect!"

_______

But despite all his sweetness and slightly feminine tendencies, he was stronger and more determined than any boy I'd met.

_______

"Okay, Alison, now jump!"

"I can't do it, I'm gonna fall!"

"I'll catch you, I promise!"

"Oof!"

"Oh my gosh! Are you alright?"

"You said you'd catch me!"

"Well you're heavier than I expected, heheh."

"Are you calling me fat?"

"N-no! I didn't mean it like that!"

______

Thanks to Viktor, I managed to catch up to the rest of the students. We grew closer and closer over these years. Yakov's approval of me grew and he praised Viktor heavily, and for good reason of course. He'd made something from nothing, after all. I can still picture him blushing at the compliments. Of course, as we grew older, we came of age where we could begin competing. Yakov was a known coach for national champions, and he often picked his pupils from his younger classes.