Introduction

Kashibai  was a mere child when she was married to Bajirao, the first born son of Radhabai and Balaji Vishwanath Bhat, the first Peshwa (Prime Minister) of Chhatrapati Shahu. Shahu was the grandson of the great Maratha king Chhatrapati Shivaji. Bajirao, who reputedly never lost a single battle in his military career of twenty years, was easily among the most influential Peshwas of the Maratha Empire. Yet he failed to win the battle for domestic peace due to his eagerness to introduce Mastani into his homestead. 

Mastani is believed to be the daughter of Maharaja Chhatrasal of Bundelkhand and his Persian consort Ruhaani Bai, but this claim remains unsubstantiated. In all likelihood she was not his daughter, instead she was brought up to be a professional courtesan and legend has it that she was presented to Bajirao due to his timely assistance to Chhatrasal during the Bundelkhand campaign.

Kashi was the daughter of a wealthy banker Mahadji Krishna Joshi of Chas and his wife Shiubai. Kashi went on to bear five sons to Bajirao, of whom only two survived childhood. For Bajirao's mother Radhabai, her daughter-in-law Kashi, who was a Brahmin just like the Bhat family was the only de jure wife of Bajirao. Bajirao's effort to legitimise Mastani as his wife met with stiff resistance from both his mother and his brother Chimaji Appa. The contemporary orthodox Brahmin community threatened to ostracize the Peshwa family due to Bajirao's association with Mastani. Though Kashi was willing to accept Mastani her lone voice was drowned out by the clamour of protest against the unorthodox pairing of Bajirao and the Muslim Mastani.

This work derives inspiration from the published material of reputed historians and novelists who have written about the subject. There will be no attempt to vilify any character portrayed in this historical fiction. The tragic love triangle between Kashibai, Bajirao and Mastani will be presented from Kashi's point of view, unlike many published works that have chosen to voice the angst of Bajirao-Mastani instead. When Bajirao espoused Mastani it led to political and social implications and upheavals that put the status of his family in peril. The domineering Radhabai rose to the occasion by taking a firm stand and opposed his union with Mastani. Poor Kashi had no choice but to give silent consent and be a mute witness to the decimation of her own marital bliss, having lost the husband she loved to a more enticing rival.

Several reasons could be given to the family's opposition to Mastani's presence in the Shaniwar Wada, the Peshwa's official mansion in Pune. The Peshwa were Chitpawan Brahmins, a community that held karmath or insular beliefs in its own sanctity. Marriage to a non-Brahmin was taboo. Bajirao's relationship with Mastani was tolerated but she could never be accepted by his family. Moreover while the Peshwas were Hindu Brahmins Mastani was said to adhere to the Pranami faith followed by Chhatrasal (the Pranami faith combined Hindu as well as Islamic practices). Because his birth was deemed illegitimate Mastani's son Shamsher Bahadur could not be brought up in his father's faith and instead was raised a Muslim. A mazaar or grave in the village of Pabal near Pune is believed to be Mastani's.

It has been claimed that Mastani was symbolically married to Bajirao's weapon. A marriage by dagger or sword was recognised in Bundelkhand and Rajputana but it was considered improper by the Brahmins of Maharashtra who frowned on the custom. Later Bajirao grew fond of consuming meat and liquor while in Mastani's company, which he could not do with his Brahmin wife as this was another taboo to the Brahmins. More than that the family resented Mastani's increasing influence over the Peshwa who began neglecting his administrative responsibilities. 

Unlike what the Sanjay Leela Bhansali's film depicts Mastani did not live a life of isolation, she attempted to remain close to Bajirao and even accompanied him on his missions away from Pune. It was Kashi who became isolated, being deprived of her husband's time and affection. Also it is wrongly said that after Mastani bore Bajirao a son in 1734, Kashi resented her as she had lost her own child during the time. This is untrue. Kashi too gave birth to her son Raghunathrao in the same year, after having earlier given Bajirao his heir Balaji Bajirao (Nanasaheb) in 1720. Which mean Bajirao was blessed with sons by both women a few months apart of each other. There is also documentary evidence that Kashi treated Mastani with due regard and looked after her in Bajirao's absence.