Februa

B A R B E D W I R E.

Bryce looked back at the door to see Jonathan pulling on it with wide eyes that were filled with fear and disbelief. He took a deep breath as the others called their name hoping the two would let them free. They were at the backside of Wal-Mart staring into that glass door where his captives begged him to let them out but that was the last thing he had in mind. A shake to his head told them the answer and the key had fallen from his grasp onto the concrete floor below him, as he looked up the blue eyes that once held emotion were white as ice.

"Bryce! Bryce!" His sister called, the glass cracking in front of him. "Bryce wake up! Bryce!" The glass shattered and time slowed as the infected tore through it just to get to him and his sister. He let out a cry as the man he once knew grabbed his arm and yanked him forward until the blonde was in his grasp, Bryce watched as Jonathan grabbed his sister, life drained from his eyes.

"Meg!" He cried out as the male bit into her flesh, earning a bloody cry from her. He watched in horror as flesh tore from her neck like string cheese or steak. Suddenly he felt a pain in his neck and his eyes widen in fear, the sound of flesh tearing rang through his ears.

"BRYCE!"

The blonde tore up from his spot on the floor as he let out a strangled gasp, hand jerking to his chest heaving chest. In front of him was his sister. She was frowning and holding his hand and then a concerned look passed upon her face as she felt his forehead. Her cold fingertips only made him feel relieved of his nightmare.

"You're sweating..are you okay?"

Bryce didn't say anything as he tackled her in a tight hug and held onto her like there was no tomorrow for either of them. When they pulled away she raised her brows in response and he plopped back down into the mattress they had drug down earlier to sleep on. It hadn't even been two days since they ditched the crew..they both left them for dead. Even he could remember their faces whenever they locked them in with the infected.

It was nothing personal but he knew if they would've got out they would've never let them run out with what they had. In their hiker backpacks were canned goods, clothes, and ammo. Both were strapped down with two weapons. A handgun and a knife.

"We should get going. Sun is just now rising and if we want to get to that camp then we must hurry." Meg stated, pulling herself from the bed. "Bryce we don't have to go.."

"Yes we do." He yawned as he pulled himself out of bed and grabbed his bag. "We didn't come all this way for nothing Meg."

"But what if no one's there?! What if it's a lie or worse over run? What then?"

"Then we leave. We come back and settle down somewhere..that's all we can do."

Meg stared at him with disbelief as she backed away from him and leaned on the back of her heels. She watched as he walked to the window and peered out of it before looking back at her with a confused look. "Well let's go. We don't have all day." Bryce stated flatly. Meg pulled herself to her feet and grabbed her bag before walking outside into the foggy area. Her blue eyes stared at the vines that wrapped around the wooden rims of the porch.

"We could've stayed with them you know.." She whispered, looking to her brother. "Ryan and them..we could've had a home."

Bryce didn't say anything as he shoved his hands into his pockets, blue eyes jerking go the road ahead. He listened as his sister took deep breaths through her nose then gave a shiver to the cold atmosphere around her. His pale hand reached up to her head and he gave a small smile before placing it gently on top of her head with ease, "We could've but it's to late for that. Do you really think they're gonna take us back after we left them for dead Meg?"

His eyes jerked to her when he got no reply only to find her chin tucked into her jacket as her face filled with a mixture of pale emotions. The look didn't suit her at all and it made Bryce frown as his head jerked away to abandon her look. Guilt was growing in the center of his chest like a wildfire that was latching onto anything like a cheetah latches onto its pray.

"Do you think they made it?"

"...Yeah....I think they did."