It's the most wonderful time of the year

"Christmas is supposed to be a time of giving and a time of being thankful about christ. I grew up here in Atlanta with family that went to church every Sunday morning, and invited all of our cousins and aunts over for a big Sunday dinner afterwards. We lived , and breathed the church. We would tithe twice, volunteer 4 times a month, and even call church the home. But that was before Gramma got sick. Ever since she has had lupus the family has only been together on seldom occasions like Thanksgiving, Easter, and sometimes on Sundays when just a few people in my house could go. When she fell sick it became all about bills, and groceries, money , and insurance. Everybody loss faith in humanity, and god. And with somebody like Trump running for president who could blame them. But here is another event she looks forward to, and I'm going to make sure she gets something worth wild. All week I've thought about maybe announcing to the family about how I want to do a church service for her, or maybe wanting to give her some money and let her get out the house and shop, but I think getting her an everlasting necklace might be best, Ya know? A necklace that she can wear and look at whenever she is having a bad day to remind herself she will always have everlasting love , and everlasting strength."

"Something that says , I'm black and I'm strong. " Reese gave Mona a fiesty look fluffing up her brunette curls for a high bun. She always looked trendy, but unique.

"Oh my god," Mona rumbled the laughter, "maybe that..except it'll say Im proud to be a strong black hawaiian." Mona took a glance in the mirror and looked at her hair. It had come so far since her decision to go natural in 2013 now she was embracing her natural curls and rocking a curly weave to blend with it for a fuller look.

"Girl you know you don't need that!" Barged in Meena.

"Need what?"

"The weave."

"Well for one I like versatility. I want to be able to wear my hair curly or straight and I don't want to put all that manipulation on MY natural hair.
So wearing a weave that blends with my hair and protects it at the same time is goals. Plus by not touching my natural hair I can let it grow long enough so when I do decide to wear my long natural hair out you and society won't even know if its weave or not," Mona stuck her tongue our as Meena rolled her eyes in envy.

"Well power to ya, cause I can't be rocking the natural thing. I'm good with my creamy crack."

"Ya until all your hair Falls out and you look like a turkey. " Reese gave Mona a look that empowered her.

Mona defended Meena anyway. "Well you can still grow your hair with a perm cause I did it but it broke when I stopped caring for it. With perms you just gotta keep the right amount of protein products to support the strands since the chemicals strip a lot of protein away. And the curly perms like yours are easier to maintain because they aren't stripping all the hair cause it leaves textures."

" Alright well imma take that as a note cause I would hate to look like a turkey Reese."

" well if you want go natural and do keratin treatments their healthier or just get silk presses."

"Oh yeah, Those are still versatile and lasts months. There more expensive then at home treatments but I think Its worth it when your hair can still be natural."

"Bruh when we get on this topic? Its taking away from what you need for your grandma and what we need for ourselves. Its already 3pm and Sina Is supposed to meet us at Oxford in 30min. You know she likes to be on time."

"I like to be on time too , which is why I'm ready. Dont stereotype me with black people who always wanna be late and know they late for no reason." Mona shot Meena a look. Meena got up and left the room.

"So you guys need to hurry up. Plus sina is bringing me Tamales. " Mona did a silly dance for her tummy.

"Girl, tamales has meat.And I just brought you some samosas from my mom."

"Ooh and they were banging! I love having indian family," Reese gave Mona a shoulder shrug,"Well anyways, her madre made some special ones for me with jalapeños , bell peppers, onions and some other stuff that-"

"Lame! And nasty," Meena cut her off, "The car is running y'all so let's go. "

"Ooh, " Meena gave Reese a look of disgust when she walked out the door.

" what is it?!" Reese started fluffing her clothes to smell her perfume.

"You know you don't need to wear that red lipstick, which ya ugly self," she mumbled

"Shut up." Reese rolled her eyes and put on her shades, " it's a good thing you my ride or die cause I'd fight you. Just triffling."

" And I heard that, always hating on somebody. Like dang we are all beautiful women just leave her alone." Mona started to sit in the car as she closed her door.

"Somebody text Sina we're on our way and should be there in 35min. "

"I already have," and just as she said that, Mona's mother called.
------------------------
" hey ma."

"Hey what are you doing?"

"Going Christmas shopping with the girls. Why what's up?"

"Nothing just checking in on you. When did you get money?"

"When my job paid me,"Mona laughed, "and Trey gave me a few cash"
-------------------
Meena side commented, "ooh look at your boo."
-------------------
"Well just be careful, and call me when you finish. Your grandmother wants to know if you are gonna help me and your aunt cook Christmas dinner."

"I will and let all 4 of my knucklehead siblings know I said hi, and they need to help too."

"I will."

"Ok, love you."

"Love you too. Bye."