Late Summer Rain

Ivy-

I wake up alone. Don't really know why I make myself remember I'm alone but, I do. 2 years it's been of waking up and going to work coming home and going to bed, I exaggerate slightly, I do have a social life however limited it is for an 18 year old. I have Jay and Emily and my work colleagues but surfing is the only true thing I can called my own. I thrive on the scenes of freedom and adrenalin it gives me a and it's the only time I feel complete. Anyway. Work. Damn it. I kick the fluffy duvet on the floor, dragging my heavy body off the mattress and slump to the mirror. I curse at the sight of my mass of long wavy brown hair. It's not a nice brown however, it's frizzy and muddy colour that bleaches in the sun. I run my fingers through the tangles and pull open my bedroom curtain the process never failing to partially blind me as I fumble around for my uniform. I slip on my 'it's short and tight for our customers Sophie' skirt, sliding the zip over the curve of my hip and button up my navy shirt, tucking it in before stumbling to the kitchen. The September morning whistles around my house and the rain beats down on the window sending shivers down my spine "why'd I even have to wear this bloody uniform anyway" I mumbled to myself, something I do quite a lot considering there's no one else around to talk to. I wrap my thick and oversized cream cardigan around my figure providing me with some form of warmth as I made my breakfast. The usual. Toast. To be faire I can't really afford anything fancy unlike my bloody parent who 'left' me at age 16 to travel the world and be millionaires. They are kind enough (their words not mine) to send me £70 a month to go towards food, heating, electricity and fuel for my car but things like clothing and cosmetics have to come out of my pay check. That leaves just about... Nothing for eating or going out with friends hence why my social life is so flatline. I push one slightly stale piece of sliced bread into the toaster cage and turn my back to switch on my radio. I'm not like others my age who listen to popular radio stations instead I plug my iPod into it's docking station and listen to country music like Hunter Hayes and Rascal Flatts. No I'm not American, far from it in fact. I'm a pale, freckly British girl who takes up residence in Cornwall 4 miles from lands end in a quiet village called St.Just. It's pretty and friendly but nothing that exciting happens here but I guess I love the quiet surroundings and wild country side. It's beautiful. It isn't until a waft of burnt bread hits me that I'm violently drawn from my day dream. "Shit" I spin around and launch my hand towards the release button which projects my disintegrating slice of toast onto the tile floor. "Yeah I think I'll pass" I pick up bread and toss it in the bin on my way to bathroom. I run a little dry shampoo through hair and do the best job of making it presentable I can and hastily brush my teeth realising it 9.00 am and I my shift starts in 10 minuets. I slip on my vans and grab my bag whilst running out the front door and unlocking my crappy old car which is that old the only way of playing music is with a cassette tape. I fumble with the keys in the rain to try to unlock the car and once I do my limp hair is feeling rather sorry for itself falling in a tangled lump over my shoulder. I bundle my bag over onto the back seat and make a few attempts to ignite the engine before it finally cuts in. I race out the shared driveway out into the empty road pressing down hard on the peddle to send my fast down the long stretch of open road. The looming threat of my work shift is eased slightly as the late summer storm begins diminishing revealing the warm September sun and the pastel blue sky and as I pull into the half empty car park I back into my usual space noticing a guy I don't recognise sat on the wall facing the beach. I clamber out of my small beat up motor, grabbing my bag from the back and make my way to the restaurant I work at. I can't fail to notice however that the guy was watching my intently as I bent over to lock my car. "Hey can I help you" I inquire in my 'friendly waitress' tone hesitantly walking in his direction. "Hey, y-yeah I just got here and was wondering where I could find a decent breakfast" up close he's really quite attractive his tanned skin and Curley chestnut hair seem to shine in the hazy sunshine but he didn't make eye contact and he kinda just look at his fingers when spoke "sure well I work over there so I could fix you up something" his head lifted and for the first time, he look at me with a shy smile before he looks back over to the beach "beautiful isn't it" I catch him by surprise "y-yeah it is" he chuckles as he swings his legs back over the wall to stand to his full height in front of me "Harry" he offers his hand "Sophie" I take his hand and give him a firm hand shake before guiding him to the restaurant.